insulated crimps crimping tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never been keen on the reliability of small (1mm to 2.5mm) crimp connections.

However recently bought a HILKA ratchet crimper and was surprised to find that it only crimps on one side. I am right handed and was trying it on blue butt crimps and solid 2.5, holding the cable and crimp in my left hand it made a perfect crimp to the LHS of the crimp, but when I crimped the RHS it didn't crimp. To crimp the RHS it is necessary to turn the tool 180° and use it upside down. I have since found that two other crimping tools are the same and only crimp on one side.

Are people aware of this and does anyone know of a crimper that doesn't have the this deficiency.

Sponsored Links
If I understand correctly, yes I'm aware that one side of my crimper presses the metal part of the crimp around the wire core, and the other side squishes the plastic around the insulation. I'll admit to sometimes turning the tool upside down if access is restricted, but I normally do the other side from the other side if that makes sense.

Or -

Do the RHS first with it on the left. :)

upload_2019-5-17_0-42-57.png

You shouldn't really crimp solid conductors with the usual squash flat crimpers.

It's not a deficiency - its how they work.
The butt crimp requires 2 crimping actions as it is 2 crimps in one.

There is no need to turn the tool - simply turn the crimp around, do you also put a screwdriver into a screw and run round in circles? lol

Sponsored Links
and the other side squishes the plastic around the insulation.

Stop buying cheap nasty crimp terminals!:p:p A metal part grabs the wire insulation also in good crimp terminals...

BS 7727 sadly says it's 'optional', hence most terminals for sale are crap.
upload_2019-5-17_8-34-31.png

Decent quality Panduit ones...
crimp.jpg

There is no need to turn the tool - simply turn the crimp around, do you also put a screwdriver into a screw and run round in circles? lol

I was considering fixed wiring, eg removing an unwanted s/o. And your analogy is daft because screws only work in one direction at a time.

Last edited:
The HILKA crimper was marked RYB on both sides, which I think is confusing.

Got a new crimper (unbranded) today, the new one is only marked RYB on one side, so I know the cable must always be on the RYB side.

The good news is, for both crimpers, I crimped six blue through crimps on 2.5 solid in series, held one end in a vice and pulled the other end with pliers, and couldn't pull them apart. So at least they both work, but personally I would avoid a crimper marked RYB on both sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back