Crimps - Help Take 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Following my previous topic on joining the cable to my Oven isolating switch. TLC have just delivered my nice new Ratchet Crimping tool, some yellow butt crimps for the Red & Black and some blue ones for the earth :D

Now please don't shoot me down in flames, I have never used crimps before and want to do this properly and am looking for advice on the best technique for crimping. :oops:

Do I ...

Crimp one end then the other?
or
Position the crimper in the middle and crimp both sides in one?

I know this sounds really noddy, but I'd rather look a clown on this forum than get in wrong! (should really have bought a job lot of the sodding things and tried all permutations until I found the best method! :rolleyes: ).

Many Thanks again.
Go easy.

Merv

Sponsored Links
pdcelec Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:53 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the crimper left handed, right handed or central?

Not quite that much of a clown! :LOL:

Crimp one side at a time. Give both ends a tug to test them. Put tape around the joints. Jobs a good un

Sponsored Links
you crimp one side then the other. dont strip the cable too far back either to copper will show outside the crimp

Yuk - dont tape!!

If you are desperate to want to insulate them - then heat shrink.

As far as I am concerned, tape is temporary, and designed to help us when installing only. It doesnt last.

I was going to crimp, tape then stick it in a chocbox? before sticking in back in the stud partition void.

Safe enough?

Merv

Allenm said:
I was going to crimp, tape then stick it in a chocbox? before sticking in back in the stud partition void.

Safe enough?

Merv

you can miss the tape part. thats why the crimps are insulated and i said not to strip the cable too much. if you do want to cover it more, use heatshrink

if you have never used them before may i suggest you try them on some old unused cable, once crimped the only way off is cut, cable can then get shorter and shorter

If you dont want to use heat shrink use some self amalgamating tape to insulate the joint. Normal insulating tape is no good as it will eventually come loose especially if it gets warm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back