Crimps not staying - am I using the right type / size ?

Yes, they say that.

They appear to conveniently ignore the fact that 526.3 contains no exemption for "maintenance free" joints.

Sponsored Links
They (USA) also kill children and mentally ill people as a means of punishment and social control.

Sponsored Links
Do these twisters comply with regulation 526.3?

Interesting point that, you won't fond me burying any but they are CE approved as a "compression wire connector", the tool is either the cap itself or the plastic spanner you get in the boxes on the bigger sizes, I guess you could argue that its a compression connector with built in tool.

Saying that Hager/Ashley swear blind you can bury there 17th ed box.

As both of thes products are new to market since 7671:2008 was published they are probably covered by 120.4, bearing in mind also the first 4 words of 114.1

Just because they are non statutory it doesn't mean you can pick and choose which regulations you follow and which you don't.

You either work to BS7671 and follow it to the letter or you work to some other standard.

Personally in my opinion these connectors could never comply with regulation 526.3, and I don't think they offer the same level of compliance with BS7671 as the methods explicitly mentioned in regulation 523.6 do, so regulation 120.4 does not apply.

Of course 120.4 applies, it was put there to allow for new materials and neither method applies any more stress to the conductor than a chock block or crimp would, bearing in mind that copper is highly ductile which is how the wire is formed in the first place (by drawing) so both comply with 526.6, I seem to remember not so many years ago that there was a lot of scepticism of crimps and that they were not to be used on solid cores.

Personally on the very rare occasions I bury a joint for good I tend to use uninsulated crimps, crimped first, soldered and sleeved with heat shrink, which complies with 526.3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back