What size heat shrink for crimping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

What size of heat shrink should be used for blue and red crimp connectors?

Also, what size is best for going over a 2.5mm T&E with crimps in it?

I had a load, but didn't take note of the size before running out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Err.
1. Measure the size of the cable sheath
2. Buy heat shrink that ends up slightly smaller than the cable sheath size when it has shrunk.
The maker's spec will tell you that.

Simples!

But I don't have my crimp kit at home, and I want to order some heat shrink online !

I was hoping someone would know the sizes needed ;)

But I don't have my crimp kit at home, and I want to order some heat shrink online ! I was hoping someone would know the sizes needed ;)
I think (but, of course, may be wrong) that TTC was implying that you don't need your 'crimp kit', but should merely select a size of shrink wrap appropriate for the sheath of the T&E whose conductors are being crimped. Do you have any T&E at home?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Use crimps with built-in heat shrink.
Not cheap though

Frank

Use crimps with built-in heat shrink. Not cheap though
I'm not sure I really see what advantage justifies the cost - particularly since (as implied by the OP) one is going to have to use ordinary heatshrink for going over the whole lot (including the T+E). What am I missing?

Kind Regards, John

What am I missing?
Convenience, plus the fact that you don't need to have enough spare core to slide the heatshrink clear of the crimp while you are crimping it.

But I agree, not exactly cheap !

What am I missing?
Convenience, plus the fact that you don't need to have enough spare core to slide the heatshrink clear of the crimp while you are crimping it. But I agree, not exactly cheap !
Cannot one emulate a crimp with built-in heatshrink (and thereby need no more 'spare core') by sliding the heatshrink over the crimp and then 'crimping through it' (just as with the expensive ready-made thingies)?

Kind Regards, John

What am I missing?
Convenience, plus the fact that you don't need to have enough spare core to slide the heatshrink clear of the crimp while you are crimping it. But I agree, not exactly cheap !
Cannot one emulate a crimp with built-in heatshrink (and thereby need no more 'spare core') by sliding the heatshrink over the crimp and then 'crimping through it' (just as with the expensive ready-made thingies)?

Kind Regards, John

I would think normal heatshrink would tear if you tried that.. however, I have not tried.

Let's rectify that.

Edit: And the results are in:
  • Some tearing of the heatshrink at the crimp jaws
  • Failure to support the wire with ordinary 2:1 heatshrink, 3:1 also possibly inadequate (not an issue specific to this method, but worth noting anyway)
  • Awkward to line crimp up correctly in jaws with heatshrink in the way
Overall I would not recommend this method. Nor would I recommend using crimps on solid core cable, but that's another discussion. I also would not consider thin polyolefin heatshrink a valid second insulator, at least not a single layer of it.

I would think normal heatshrink would tear if you tried that.. however, I have not tried. ... Let's rectify that. ... Edit: And the results are in:
  • Some tearing of the heatshrink at the crimp jaws
  • Failure to support the wire with ordinary 2:1 heatshrink, 3:1 also possibly inadequate (not an issue specific to this method, but worth noting anyway)
  • Awkward to line crimp up correctly in jaws with heatshrink in the way
Thanks. I have never tried it, either - hence my question. Thanks for doing the experiment.
Overall I would not recommend this method.
Indeed - your experiment seems to indicate that it is not satisfactory.
Nor would I recommend using crimps on solid core cable, but that's another discussion. ....
As you say, that's another discussion, but it's well known that my feelings are similar.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back