Tips on Heat Shrinking Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When heat shrinking joints what is the best size sleeving for 2.5mm crimped joints.
And what is the preferred method for applying the heat.
Regards

Sponsored Links
Heat gun would probably be best, hair dryer or fan heater would probably do as well, I've had good results from holding a gas powered soldering iron below it as well.

Not so good results with:

electric soldering iron (doesn't seem to give out much heat into the air around it?, you have to touch the barrel on the heatshrink, which causes uneven shrinking)

gas cooker (too much heat, burnt the heatshrink, and you might have problems moving your ring main to it :LOL:)

lighter (yellow wandering flame, have to hold it close to get the heat, and then the flame touches it and burns it)

Gas soldering iron looks favourite.
I'll give the gas cooker a miss as the joint is in the loft and the hatch is a bit small!!!!
Cheers

elfreddo said:
Gas soldering iron looks favourite.
I'll give the gas cooker a miss as the joint is in the loft and the hatch is a bit small!!!!
Cheers
blowtorch. my gas soldering iron is no good for heatshrink

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
The method I adapt when crimping wires when fitting new con units etc is to wrap the crimped joints in insualtion tape. Ive got a proper heat gun that I aquired from somewhere so it would be a lot better for me to use proper heat shrink sleeving in the future. Can anyone recommend where I might buy the heat shrink from and also whats the best size to use for 1mm - 10mm wires as im assuming its quite big and shrinks down a lot. I would prefer to buy it online if poss.

Thanks
Bow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back