Crimped joints in T&E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Crimps are fine for solid core wires. If you look in the Tyco catalogue it even states it.

The main question here is the use of insulation tape. If the tape is not being used to provide a second insulating layer then there is no issue. Are the cables in any form of trunking or enclosure?

No they are just laying in the meter cupboard, the tape was always my main concern

No they are just laying in the meter cupboard, the tape was always my main concern

Then if possible I would try to contain the lot in trunking rather than remaking all of the connections.

Is it plain insulation tape, or self amalgamating tape?

Sponsored Links
Plain old PVC tape, one layer by the looks, the cables are all crammed into a tight spot, nigh impossible to get any slack

Crimps are fine for solid core wires. If you look in the Tyco catalogue it even states it.
I suspect that it varies between terminal manufacturers, and also on how "good" or otherwise is the crimp tool used. I can't help thinking that some terminals won't be suitable, and some are crimped with a "poor" tool.
NB - and when I was told "no crimping of solid cores", that was for shoreside use, we didn't use solid cable on vessels for obvious reasons.

Are you going to go down a checklist of cable related buzzwords one at a time ? It's long enough ago that I can't remember all the details - but yes, fire performance of cables was definitely included, as were the waterproof qualities (I'll leave you to ponder on that one - it's NOT the cable jacket of interest ;))

Are you going to go down a checklist of cable related buzzwords one at a time ?
No.

I'm just wondering if the "no crimping of solid conductors" rule was one of a set of rules which laid down standards way in excess of what are appropriate for domestic dwellings. And if LS0H cable was one of them, it looks like it was.

And yet again, there goes BAS quoting bits and using them to "prove" that a different question was wrongly answered.

You asked a question, I answered it correctly. Nothing you have quoted contradicts that. For that hard of comprehension (that's you BAS) : Yes fire performance of cables was included in the training. No it wasn't part of a "set of rules which laid down standards way in excess of what are appropriate for domestic dwellings". We did both "commercial" stuff in the workshops, and "marine" stuff on-board.
It was said that a lot of houses in the town were wired with the "oddball" sockets (D&S) used in the yard, but that's another story altogether :whistle:

And I assume from what you've been writing that you consider LS0H cables have no place in domestic wiring ?

I know someone that built a two man submarine, so the standards are relevant to a diy forum. I think he drowned, perhaps he crimped single core cables.

What I consider are the following:

1. That given the context of the discussion, it was disingenuous of you, to say the least, to answer "yes" to the question of whether you what you were told, was, for shoreside use, no crimping of solid conductors and LS0H cables to be used.
  2. That LS0H cables may of course be used in domestic dwellings, but it is not appropriate to mandate their use.
  3. That the fact that there are non-domestic dwelling environments in which those responsible mandate LS0H cables and no crimping of solid cores does not mean that LS0H cables are mandated in domestic dwellings and therefore "no crimping of solid cores" may be equally non-mandatory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back