Crimped joints in T&E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot say whether the crimps comply with the regs or not, as John D says the tape is his concern as it is mine, but is it any better or worse than heat shrink which is the preferred sheath replacement of many, my personal view is that it is rough work but thats not the issue

Sponsored Links
When I worked for GEC large steam turbines we had to send our crimp pliers for calibration, this is the only firm where I have seen this done, there were 4 sizes for pre-insulated crimps orange, red, blue and yellow, and carrying 4 pairs of crimp pliers was a pain, if I could have got away with using my own I would have done. However it seems GEC had tested crimps and found if the pressure was correct they were fine with solid cores, but if either under or over then they could fail, so had gone down the calibration route.

Most good crimp pliers do have an adjustment and can be calibrated, but only seen GEC actually do it. The problem with an EICR is you simply don't know how old the crimp pliers were or if they were calibrated, but crimp joints are maintenance free, so is it really in your remit to test them?

Well its the dodgy tape job that has me concerned more than the crimps, your mention of calibrated crimpers reminded me that the place I served my time used to calibrate crimpers, you were only allowed to use company issue

Sponsored Links
Just bog standard PVC tape, which to my mind does not replace an outer sheath

Are these joints in trunking, how are they any worse than pvc singles, is tape or sleeving really necessary

... when I served my time, I worked to MOD specs and crimping of solids was forbidden, it has always stuck with me
Ditto. As an apprentice we were taught that crimping of solid cores was not allowed - also working to MoD standards.

Were those standards for environments similar to a domestic property, or something a little more onerous?

Were those standards for environments similar to a domestic property, or something a little more onerous?
For one who is, in most cases, so particular that things should be done correctly, I would liken it to using screws for nails and screw drivers for chisels.

You may achieve what you want but that is not the application for which they were designed.

"Quality" is fitness for purpose.

What happens if you crimp solid conductors in household T&E?

My house moves and vibrates less than a submarine. If there was a nearby explosion, loss of power to a household circuit would be the least of my worries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back