Crimped joints in T&E

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is not "are crimped solids suitable for use on a submarine?"

The question is "are crimped solids suitable for use in a house?"

You cannot derive the answer to one question from the answer to the other.

Are chillies suitable for use in a curry?
Are chillies suitable for use in an apple crumble?

Sponsored Links
I'm somewhat surprised that solid conductors are considered suitable for use in submarines, crimped or not.

TBH it was so long ago I can't remember solid core cables on subs, there might have been co ax type, there was not much vibration though, millions were spent avoiding any noise or vibration

The question is not "are crimped solids suitable for use on a submarine?"
I didn't bring up submarines.

The question is "are crimped solids suitable for use in a house?"
The question is "are crimped solid cores suitable anywhere?

You cannot derive the answer to one question from the answer to the other.
I have not.

No.
No.

Sponsored Links
In my mind it's a work around to make the changing of the board easy without having to rewire the property - or at least rewire the last/first legs of rings/radials.

"Useful" would be if somebody can produce a regulation relating to domestic wiring; or tests demonstrating some ill effects of crimping solid cores. I'm very interested in that.

"Not Useful" includes anecdotes about MoD practice years ago that did not relate to domestic wiring.

so nobody has anything useful to say.
You asked:

If you don't find answers to those questions useful then WTH did you ever ask them in the first place?

1+%28528%29.jpg

"Useful" would be if somebody can produce a regulation relating to domestic wiring; or tests demonstrating some ill effects of crimping solid cores. I'm very interested in that.
But you wrote "so nobody has anything useful to say" in reply to my answers to your chilli questions.

I'm not sure why you think it's OK to ask questions about Subject A and then call the answers "not useful" because they weren't answers to questions about Subject B.

The regulation states that inaccessible joints may be made by (welding, soldering, brazing or) appropriate compression tool.

Therefore, it is up to anyone using such a method to show that it is appropriate.

You might think twisting conductors together and burying is an appropriate method. The regulations do not say it is not.

I challenge you to find a reputable source which relates to crimping solid cores with the generally available equipment.

"Not Useful" includes anecdotes about MoD practice years ago that did not relate to domestic wiring.
http://www.tnb.ca/aus/pdfs/Sta-Kon_Wire_Termination_and_Insulation.pdf

For their Ring terminals page G4 Seems to suggest there crimps are ok. but recommend to use a Double ind-enter tool with solid core rather than a single indenter tool.
Though they look like they have other bonus features compared with the average type sold.

Last edited:
on page G92 I see a reference to "For solid or stranded wire #20 to 4/0 AWG" and on G23 "solid or stranded AWG" but of course I am not familiar with AWG.

I haven't found anything yet that says "not suitable for solid wire."

No, but you have found that double indent tools are required; this is not what is usually used here.

The first two pages mention 'strands' several times as if that is normal.
There seem to be a multitude of tools and dies.
Does page 92 look like the typical work?

What would happen here with a solid conductor?
upload_2017-5-1_23-52-52.png

Does that look like what we're used to?

Anyway, you carry on if you want. I don't care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back