Crimped joints in T&E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been giving a holiday let the once over for the owners, new CU installed less than five years ago, all the outgoing T&Es are crimp jointed and taped over in the mains cupboard, and although I never use crimp joints on solid cores, some do and heat shrink over, I am going to recommend pulling the cables back and use MF JBs, am I being pedantic?

Sponsored Links
Crimping is fine, it's the tape I'd have issue with. MF jbs would be fine but bulky and expensive in comparison.

Theres a good void above the mains cupboard with easy access, to replace the tape with heat shrink would require cutting and recrimping and I have an aversion to crimping solid cores

Sponsored Links
Solid cores should not be crimped but people do it, as you say.

It's already there, you didn't do it. Why change it?

12, not much room in cupboard, but yes a din rail arrangement in void above would be feasible, that or 15 JBs

Sorry to hijack but what din rail connectors do you use? I was using the wago ones but it would be nice to get rewirable ones.

Weidmuller, I do a bit of control panel building and they have a good range of cross connectors, earth terminals etc, get them from RS usually

They are simply not meant for solid conductors.

That is the ones 'we' use which merely squash flat and are too big for the conductors.

It may not be a hazard on lightly loaded domestic circuits but you will not find any instructions for crimping where solid conductors are shown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back