Crimping tool - DIY use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
They are different tools for different types of crimps. The one with the red handle is for insulated crimps the other is for copper tube lugs which are not the same thing.

Sponsored Links
The push fits have to be accessible since they are not considered any better than a terminal joint.

If you have to obscure a join, permanently it must be crimped, or if you have the patience (and talent) sleeved, soldered and heat shrunk joints.

Those are the ONLY two recognised methods of jointing without the need to access the join.

What makes you think pushfit connectors need to be accessible?

Read Appendix 15 of the Reg's.

Which element of a cage clamp or pushwire terminal requires maintenance?

Who doesn't believe Pushfit connectors are not a whole lot better than screw terminals?

Are you aware of the product testing and safety certification that pushfit terminals have to conform to?

Can you cite any certification that screw terminals conform to to justify the remark "they are not considered any better than a terminal joint"

I've witnessed plenty of crushed broken and burnt out cables in bit's of chock block and BS6220 junction boxes and fitted many 100's of pushfit connectors. In my experiance if fitted correctly a pushfit connector is 100% reliable end of.

They do not comply with regulation 526.3 in BS7671:2008, so they MUST remain accessible.

Regulation 526.3:

Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintanence, except for the following:

(i) A joint designed to be buried in the ground
(ii) A compound-filled or encapsulated joint
(iii) A connection between a cold tail and the heating element as in ceiling heating, floor heating or a trace heating system
(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool
(v) A joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate product standard.

Which category of those above do pushfit connectors fit into?

What makes you think that appendix 15 has any relevence anyway?

Appendix 15.

Junction Box to BS60670-22 with screw terminals must be accessible for inspection or alternatively use maintenance free terminal connections.

I see what you've done there, and it's quite clever.

You have only quoted part of appendix 15.

But, you missed out one VERY important bit.

You wrote this:
Junction Box to BS60670-22 with screw terminals must be accessible for inspection or alternatively use maintenance free terminal connections.

As we all know, that isn't exactly what BS7671:2008 says now is it?

What it does infact say is : "Junction boxes with screw terminals must be accesible for inspection, testing & maintenance or, alternatively, use maintenence-free terminals / connections (Regulation 526.3)."

That says you can use maintence free connections as long as they comply with regulation 526.3

Regulation 526.3:

Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintanence, except for the following:

(i) A joint designed to be buried in the ground
(ii) A compound-filled or encapsulated joint
(iii) A connection between a cold tail and the heating element as in ceiling heating, floor heating or a trace heating system
(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool
(v) A joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate product standard.

So, I'll ask you again, which category of those above do pushfit connectors fit into?

lol

113.1 The Regulations apply to items of electrical equipment only so far as selection and application of the equipment are concerned. The regulations do NOT deal with the construction of assemblies which are required to comply with the appropriate standard.

BS60670-22
Junction Box

Now are pushfit terminal blocks maintenance free... i think so!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back