Crimps - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

This is a follow-on from my previous topic on moving a cooker switch.

In that topic I asked the best way of joining 6mm 30amp cooker cable (concealed in a partition wall). The answers received was to Crimp the cable (using a proper ratchet crimper). This seemed nice and easy, that is until I tried to find some Yellow Butt Crimps to do the job. No one seems to sell them (inc Screwfix).

Am I missing something? so 2 Questions..

1. Is Crimping the 6mm cable (Black / Red in 6mm Yellow Crimp. Earth in a Blue Crimp), inserted into a chocbox both acceptable and advisable?

2. I have seen some 6mm (Yellow) crimps in Maplins, but they are in the in-car audio section (12Volt), is there any difference between these yellow 6mm crimps and those that are sold in electrical factors?

Sorry for the ramble- Just spent 2 hours shopping and come back with sod-all!!!!

Thanks
Merv

Sponsored Links
some sparkys seem to think there is a difference but i've never seen any evidence of this, real electronics suppliers seem to quote the ratings for such crimps as well above mains voltage and i've never seen ones explicitly state they are for car use only (many suppliers including maplin however annoyingly don't seem to quote to rated voltage)

btw anyone else notice that maplins site seems to have got REALLY sh*tty recently

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
plugwash said:
btw anyone else notice that maplins site seems to have got REALLY ****ty recently

My local Maplin shop has got pretty rubbish too... the customer service is pretty good, but they no longer have the gorgeou 6-foot redhead who worked there last year :cry:

Allen, try here. I have nothing but rave reviews for this supplier, I placed an order at 1am on Thursday, had a personal response to a customer survey at 8am on Thursday, had the goods at 11am on Friday (well, my neighbour did, I was at work :D )

Also, if you try www.yell.co.uk you will find electricians' merchants in your area. They are often more expensive than the online ones, but they will have it tomorrow morning when you want to do the job! My experience is that electrical merchants have little time for we amateurs, so remember what it is you need when you go in :D My local one could just be rubbish, mind.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
btw anyone else notice that maplins site seems to have got REALLY shi*ty recently

Recently!! I suppose on the evolutionary scale 10 years might be considered recently. :) I think having pushed Tandy out of the high street Maplin sank into the hole they left!

i wasn't reffering to thier supply of parts which has indded been going downhill for years i was commenting that thier website seems to have had a redesign recently and is now absoloutely horrid to navigate.

farnells site also seems to have got pretty bad since this farnell-inone branding started and i can't say i much like cpcs site either

rapid still had a pretty nice website last time i checked but it may also have gone downhill since.

andrew2022 said:
then you aint lookin very hard. screwfix sells them. every electrical wholesaler will sell them
Go and look hard then. If you can find them, I'll buy you a pack....

If you can't, you buy me a pack from the wholesaler of your choice - OK?

Allenm wrote:
No one seems to sell them (inc Screwfix)

andrew2022 wrote:
then you aint lookin very hard. screwfix sells them. every electrical wholesaler will sell them

Where are you looking?? a search at screwfix.com for Crimp returns all crimps except yellow butt cimps. Also looked in Wickes, Homebase, B&Q, B&Q Warehouse, Halfords(!!!) and maplins (who said they were only for 12v car use!).

Please make me look a tw@ and tell me what I'm missing ;)

Any views on the use of maplins crimps?? are they only for cars?

ta Merv

Allenm said:
Allenm wrote:

andrew2022 wrote:

Where are you looking?? a search at screwfix.com for Crimp returns all crimps except yellow butt cimps. Also looked in Wickes, Homebase, B&Q, B&Q Warehouse, Halfords(!!!) and maplins (who said they were only for 12v car use!).

ta Merv

sorry. screwfix only sell red and blue splices. wonder why they dont sell yellow...

some B&Qs do sell them. not sure what maplin type youve seen.

go to a local electrical wholesaler. youll get them there for sure

ban-all-sheds said:
andrew2022 said:
sorry. screwfix only sell red and blue splices. wonder why they dont sell yellow...
I wonder why you had a go at Allenm like that....

i was sure i had bought some from screwfix a few years ago. have they stopped selling them?

Allenm said:
Allenm wrote:

andrew2022 wrote:

ta Merv

Was the 'size range' throwing you ?
From http://www.cse-distributors.co.uk/cabmgmt/insulterm.htm
[code:1]
Red from 0.5mm² up to 1.5mm² cable
Blue from 1.5mm² up to 2.5mm² cable
Yellow from 4.0mm² up to 6.0mm² cable
[/code:1]
As AdamW pointed out :- http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTBUTTslashY.html
;)

Was the 'size range' throwing you ?
From http://www.cse-distributors.co.uk/cabmgmt/insulterm.htm
Code:

Red from 0.5mm² up to 1.5mm² cable
Blue from 1.5mm² up to 2.5mm² cable
Yellow from 4.0mm² up to 6.0mm² cable

No it wasn't the size range, I understand the yellow crimp is rated 4-6mm. The issue is the cable inside (ie: 240v 35amp Cooker supply). The ones in Maplins were not rated (as are others I have seen) and were being sold in the Car Audio section (12v). I can't believe they are different, but I asked and they guy in the shop was very doubtful and has sown the seeds of doubt in my mind.

The whole point of all this, is to ensure I do the job properly and safely (for me and anyone who may later 'own' the place). This is why I keep asking rather dumb questions :rolleyes: Just to add insult to injury, the Maplins technical helpline is a sodding premium rate! :evil:

It has occured to me that until I cover the JB that I originally put in, the installation is fine, so I guess I can wait and order some from TLC.

Merv

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back