Concerns on pre-insulated crimp terminals on solid conductor

Those are pins, not ferrules.
Correct.
Shame some people don't know what theyre using.
I know what they are, but they perform the same function re stranded wire and screw terminals, no?

Nice case though, assuming that's yours, where'd you get it?

Thats a new one still on the shelf.
Most suppliers have something like this, ie Screwfix, RS, CEF and the like.
It's mine.

Bought it on fleabay - looks just like a Screwfix one without the writing.

img0832r.jpg

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I use uninsulated ferrules mostly. 0.75 to 1.5 are what I keep handy. Can crimp them with a pair of pliers if you need to. The insulated type fit in some plugtops too.

Sponsored Links
I use uninsulated ferrules mostly. 0.75 to 1.5 are what I keep handy. Can crimp them with a pair of pliers if you need to. The insulated type fit in some plugtops too.

And I spend a lot of my time repairing kit where the ferrules have been done with pliers

And I spend a lot of my time repairing kit where the ferrules have been done with pliers

How does it damage things? My crimp tool is little more than a pair of pliers with some holes in it, I can get an almost identical result out of a pair of pliers.

I don't and never would crimp up ferrules using a pair of pliers, but I imagine if done with enough force and by inserting the ferrule perpendicular rather than parallel to the jaws, such that you don't end up with more pressure being applied to one end of the ferrule than the other. Which reminds me that I really much purchase a better set of ferrule crimps, as mine seem to have handles that wouldn't look amiss on a set designed to crimp 16mmsq and up conductors, which makes them near impossible to use single handed.

I just tried it out to see if it'd work decently if I didn't have my crimp.

How does it damage things? My crimp tool is little more than a pair of pliers with some holes in it, I can get an almost identical result out of a pair of pliers.

I stock all sizes of ferrule from 0.22 to maybe 50mm in French and German colours so a range about 50 different ones and total quantity of maybe 100,000. In order to do my work properly I have 5 ferrule crimpers at an average price of around £40-£50. If I were to use a pair of pliers companies would soon stop using my services. If your ferrule crimper gives the same results as a pair of pliers, personally I would throw it in the bin and go and buy a proper one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back