Source for Wago blocks - Farnell

If the picker can count 10 bags he can also count 10 wagos.
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif

Sponsored Links
No - it shows that you DGAS about pollution, waste of natural resources, global warming and so on.
Not in the least. Once again you are putting 2+2 and getting 5 or 3 or 7 or 27, or ...
Understanding WHY a vendor may do the packaging as they do does not mean I agree with it, or don't care about the waste etc.

So your response is nothing more than a gratuitous insult based on nothing but your own prejudices.

Nonsense. You denied that it was bonkers on the grounds that a warehouse picking system may not be able to manage without it. Even if that were true, even if it were the case that a picker could count 10 things in bags but not 10 things not in bags, that would not make it any less bonkers.

If you really cared about those things you would not be defending the practice and denying its unacceptability.

There you go again - reading something I didn't write and criticising me for what you imagine I wrote.
I simply explained why a distie with that sort of product range would package things as they do. If you go back and read it, I made no comment on whether I think it makes environmental sense etc.
As it happens, CPC are not the only distie I've dealt with where you get stuff packed like this (though to be fair, the particular example I have in mind is the manufacturer's doing rather than the distie). It's "a bit of a nuisance" unpacking hundreds (and I do mean hundreds on some jobs) of items when they've been packaged individually like that.
And bear in mind that a significant subset of the products they sell are "multi-part" (eg jack plugs with separate plug and shell) or in packs (eg 10 items to a pack). For these it definitely makes sense to have them in individual packs/picking item.

Sponsored Links
OK smart a**a, try quoting something, anything, that supports your contention that because I've given you a valid reason why they would package as they do, that must mean that I DGAS about waste, the environment, etc ? You haven't quoted anything which says or suggests that - only the bits that you have chosen to (mis)interpret in that way.
Your turn, keep digging in that hole.

Because if you DGAS then you would not for one second entertain the notion that it made perfect sense.

Complete logical fail.
I'll add that CPC sell a lot of stuff that is similarly packaged, a lot of it being multiple parts - either multiples (eg "pack of 10 connectors") or multiple parts for one item (eg "'RJ45' socket with separate terminal cover/single use crimp tool"), or both. So for the pickers, it makes sense if "small items" are in familiar packaging -so they know to pick "the number of packets that are shown on the pick list", know where on the packet to look for the part number (and not have to know anything at all about what they are picking), and so on.
So again, while it looks bonkers if you have no experience in such a business, and it's not exactly planet friendly, there are certainly valid reasons for doing it that way.
Taken to extreme, you'd say it's "bonkers" that you can buy sand, gravel, etc in plastic bags rather than only in bulk (unbagged). Say it's bonkers that light bulbs come in cardboard and/or plastic packaging. Bonkers that if you go to your electrical wholesaler then you'll get fuses in a plastic bag or cardboard box. And so on, and so on, and ...

But cardboard isn’t even really an issue. Yes it’s from trees but it’s biodegradable and I’d wager a large percentage of our carboard is made from recycled products already.

And I'd wager what's left of my pension that an even larger percentage of all those little plastic bags will never get recycled.

And I'd wager what's left of my pension that an even larger percentage of all those little plastic bags will never get recycled.
Of course not a) they're likely to just get thrown into general waste rather than being deliberately separated and b) not all plastics are widely recycled - some not at all.

You would hope CPC would make them from recyclable plastics but the percentage of people that would think to recycle them, particularly on site is gonna be small.

That's not to say CPC are alone in their poor practices. Many accessory manufacturers ship their products in plastic bags. Hager even do them with a bag for the pins and pin caps (in most accessories) as well as the back for the accessory. It's understandable to a point - they're protecting their product. Cardboard has limited usefulness in this situation - an accessory rubbing against cardboard in transit etc is going to sustain some damage, but a plastic film over the faceplate would more than halve the amount of plastic used.

Complete abrogation of moral and societal responsibility.
Again, personal insult based on a logical failure and inability (or simply refusal) to consider any viewpoint other than your own predetermined one as having any validity. Plus a lack of knowledge of how businesses like this work, and how the staff picking order work, and the level of knowledge of those pickers.
It's one thing to have a different opinion, but being such a bigot does yourself a disservice.

Again, personal insult based on a logical failure and inability (or simply refusal) to consider any viewpoint other than your own predetermined one as having any validity. Plus a lack of knowledge of how businesses like this work, and how the staff picking order work, and the level of knowledge of those pickers.
It's one thing to have a different opinion, but being such a bigot does yourself a disservice.
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

The cry of "you don't understand how it works" has been heard from the polluters and employee killers down the ages. "We have to send up all this soot and sulphur dioxide - it's just what happens, you don't understand how the {whatever} industrial process works." "We have to discharge all this **** into the rivers, and yes it's a shame that everything dies and the rivers catch fire, but that's just how it works, do you want the jobs or not?".

I'm not aware of a single significant anti-pollution measure voluntarily put into place by industry without there being at least a groundswell of public opinion against them, and usually they need to be forced by legislation.

So no - what I am refusing to accept, as all right minded people should refuse (so clearly you aren't one of those, as you persist in defending it) is that there is no choice, and that these business cannot operate in any other way except ones which use all these little plastic bags.

And yes - those who do it, and those who make excuses for it are engaged in an abrogation of their moral and societal responsibilities.

So no - what I am refusing to accept, as all right minded people should refuse (so clearly you aren't one of those, as you persist in defending it) is that there is no choice, and that these business cannot operate in any other way except ones which use all these little plastic bags.
Please quote where I have said that there is no choice ? You can't because I haven't - I've given reasons why it is done which is NOT the same thing. You seem to have difficulty with this logical thinking stuff don't you :whistle:
You do, of course, have the option of not dealing with them - have you contacted them to complain ? I strongly suspect that this isn't the first time you've purchased from CPC or Farnell - so there's a hint of hypocrisy buying from a supplier who you would already have known does this sort of stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back