Spain not tourist areas .....superb

Being married to a Spanish lady myself I can agree with a lot in this thread. Aldi and indeed Lidl aren't "budget" supermarkets in Spain as they are here. They are more the equivalent of Tesco or Sainsburys. The fish counters are immense but that is because there is a demand for the produce there and people will buy whole fish, prepare and debone them at home etc. We have lost that art in many households and the newer generations will be put off by a whole fish and can only handle a fillet every now and then. The fact is that a lot of that fish you see in the supermarkets over there comes from British waters as well. If we had the demand for it here, the supermarkets would stock it.

Fruit and veg really comes down to the climate has as been said. Potatoes grow better in the UK, tomatoes in Spain, that is just the way it is. We eat and do more with whole potatoes here than they do in Spain. My wife had no idea how easy it was to make mashed potato. Her whole family believed it only ever came out of a packet in powder form.

Climate dictates a lot of this and you have to look back into times when food was less easily moved around the world as it is now and less technology to keep things chilled and fresh for longer. So Southern Europe cook with and use olive oil more whereas in the UK we cook with and use butter more. We will always have fresh milk in the UK as historically it worked for a milkman to deliver it without it spoiling. Whereas in Spain UHT milk in cartons is much more common as it doesn't spoil if left outside of the fridge in the same way.

Sponsored Links
It is worth noting that my question on what does the UK do better has resulted in very few sensible replies.
Maybe you would get a more favourible response if you had said "what did the UK do better"...

Sadly many of our previously well run institutions that were once admired around the world have been slowly picked apart by privatisation and corruption...

The UK is no longer a place that can be held up as a good example, and yet there are so many ignorant people in this country that bizarrely believe we are still a 'world player' in 'fairness'!

The UK is no longer a place that can be held up as a good example
Not true! It's a great example - of how not to do things :LOL:

Nah, I like the UK on a whole. It's just a bit mixed up at the moment, it'll get there eventually.

Not true! It's a great example - of how not to do things :LOL:

Nah, I like the UK on a whole. It's just a bit mixed up at the moment, it'll get there eventually.
Where is 'there', and how do we get 'there'?

Sponsored Links
Being married to a Spanish lady myself I can agree with a lot in this thread. Aldi and indeed Lidl aren't "budget" supermarkets in Spain as they are here. They are more the equivalent of Tesco or Sainsburys. The fish counters are immense but that is because there is a demand for the produce there and people will buy whole fish, prepare and debone them at home etc. We have lost that art in many households and the newer generations will be put off by a whole fish and can only handle a fillet every now and then. The fact is that a lot of that fish you see in the supermarkets over there comes from British waters as well. If we had the demand for it here, the supermarkets would stock it.

Fruit and veg really comes down to the climate has as been said. Potatoes grow better in the UK, tomatoes in Spain, that is just the way it is. We eat and do more with whole potatoes here than they do in Spain. My wife had no idea how easy it was to make mashed potato. Her whole family believed it only ever came out of a packet in powder form.

Climate dictates a lot of this and you have to look back into times when food was less easily moved around the world as it is now and less technology to keep things chilled and fresh for longer. So Southern Europe cook with and use olive oil more whereas in the UK we cook with and use butter more. We will always have fresh milk in the UK as historically it worked for a milkman to deliver it without it spoiling. Whereas in Spain UHT milk in cartons is much more common as it doesn't spoil if left outside of the fridge in the same way.

I dont disagree with anything you've said .....but why arn't there more of these products exported to the UK on on our super market shelves ?

I go to Spain quite a lot but mainly the Canaries. I think the fruit and veg on their shelves is of much lower quality than we get here. I've been in all the major Spanish supermarkets, some of which are actually French and if I saw some of the stuff they have on offer in my local shops I'd consider it 2nd class.

I go to Spain quite a lot but mainly the Canaries. I think the fruit and veg on their shelves is of much lower quality than we get here. I've been in all the major Spanish supermarkets, some of which are actually French and if I saw some of the stuff they have on offer in my local shops I'd consider it 2nd class.

That may be true and your experiance, my experiance was different. the fruit and veg was superb in fact the whole stores stock was.
Just down the road there appeared to be what could best be described as an Asda very busy in comparison but we didn't get chance to go in there.
Best thing was no Brits ! At La franc there was a highbrow televised musical event like a folk concert. Thousands on the streets no Brits no boorish behaviour.
Only problem was the relentless heat 34C.

When I'm in Tenerife most Sundays we go to this farmer's market https://bit.ly/332STga
I have DNI (Documento nacional de identidad) because I am a foreigner legally resident in Spain although most of the time, I am here. But, it means that I can travel in Spain for the same price as a Canarian person. i.e. I get a 75% discount if I travel between the Islands or to the peninsula. Last month we went from Tenerife to El Hierro, that's where the grow the pineapples. The pineapples were fantastic but, very expensive. Two people and a car on the Armas high speed ferry was 70€ return. Two weeks later, we went to Gran Canaria for the weekend for about the same price.
The Spanish government subsidise Canarian people's travel because they live in isolation.

Sponsored Links
Back