Spain not tourist areas .....superb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been to a wedding in Spain ...not the usual British tourist lout areas. No catering at all for English idiots.

The groom's intended bride..... her two English brothers are married to Spanish ladies, so it was a mix of Spanish and English nationalities.

No one in the bars or restaurants spoke English ( a few were ok) and didn't hear any English tourists whilst we were there.......superb ......Spanish friendly and we had a good laugh with them.
Guess what we didn't see ? Any obese people ! No fat overweight drunk English girls or loutish lads or bad Spanish youth behaviour .....the opposite.

But get this we went in to a Spanish Aldi.......the fruit and veg was unbelievable absolutely superb quality ....nothing like it here.........not in waitrose ........nowhere. In comparison what our supermarkets supply is very very poor.

We encountered English idiots on the plane home....not young either but idiots non the less.

Sponsored Links
It’s not just Spain. I experienced the same, three years ago when we went to a friends daughters wedding in Tuscany and again last October to another friends daughters in a little village where he has a holiday home in Sardinia. He bought the remaining stock of a local vineyards wine and it was bloody gorgeous and only cost about €3 a litre! Talking of Spanish supermarkets, it ain’t just the fruit and veg aisles that look tasty - I can never get over the length, variety and quality of the fish counters.

Europe can do some things right, then.

It sounds like you all wish Britain could be more like Europe.

What does Britain do better, then?

Sponsored Links
I think the opposite. When I'm in a Spanish supermarket, I think our fruit and veg is much better quality. If you look at the good potatoes on display, you'll see that they are British.

Produces people who don't actually like Great Britain, and will disparage it at every opportunity.
Not sure that's a 'better'.
Anyway, surely that's not a very sensible thing to do.

Just watched Ricky Gervais:
"Dying is like being an idiot - the person doesn't know; it just makes others sad".

We do TV better, Spanish TV is the pits, possibly as bad as American TV.

Last edited:
But get this we went in to a Spanish Aldi.......the fruit and veg was unbelievable absolutely superb quality ....nothing like it here.........not in waitrose ........nowhere. In comparison what our supermarkets supply is very very poor.
Spain, like Italy has the nicest tomatoes (for example), but then they have the climate to grow them and other nice fruit and veg. When we eat stuff in season here in the UK it's just as good as anywhere imo, it's just the rest of the time in seems to come from very large greenhouses in the Netherlands or Belgium.

Europe can do some things right, then.

It sounds like you all wish Britain could be more like Europe.

What does Britain do better, then?

Your confusing dislike of that EU monstrosity with dislike of European countries or people, dislike of that eco/political bureaucracy is a different thing.
Time and again on here dislike of the EU is taken as dislike of other races or countries and leavers are called right wing or racist.

Posters that claim that we'll It makes them feel morally superior and feeds their narcissistic personalitis oh and they like to boast ....well to be fair it's only knowsnowt that boasts I can't recall, Jonny boy boasting but he certainly doesn't think rules of the forum apply to him otherwise he wouldn't have gone in to the cc more evidence of narcissim.

That all looks very reasonable.
However, any criticism of the way the UK is run is greeted with claims of hatred of the UK and the poster should leave if he doesn't like it - much the same as Trump's stupid tweets about the four congresswomen.

Also the UK is frequently lauded by jingoists as better than everywhere else in all respects, therefore implying that everywhere else is inferior.

It is worth noting that my question on what does the UK do better has resulted in very few sensible replies.

Comedy .
Music.
Satire.
Style.
Ceremony.

(of course , an open goal for anyone who wants to post a link to Timmy Mallet / Wayne Slob, and things like "ceremony" are anathema to many, but I still reckon the above generally holds).

Sponsored Links
Back