Spalled concrete - how bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So my newly laid concrete slab is now just over a week old.

As with anything I often do when I give it a go for the first time I was nervous as you're never quite sure how it's going to end up!o_O

Well no surprise my concrete mixing/finishing skills still need a lot of work because patches of the slab have started to spall and are a bit sandy. I've attached a photo. Probably only 1/4 is affected and it is in small patches not all over.

From various reading and looking at old forum posts and other resources I understand that spalling can be caused by several factors including poor mix, rapid temperature change, finishing too early amongst others.

Temperatures didn't drop below freezing when it was set and they haven't for the last week and it's obviously more than likely my novice finishing or mixing skills.

My main question is this. The slab is for a shed base so cosmetically the spalling is not an issue as it will be covered. There are no cracks or fissures, no voids and the dark area of exposed concrete under the flaked off spall is rock solid. So is the rest of the slab. The flaking portions are probably 3Mm thick max and the underneath does not show any signs of poor setting.

Could this be a surface finish issue and while not ideal would it be ok to just remove as much as possible and leave as it is?

I think my finishing technique was more than likely inadequate but this shouldn't compromise the overall mix I would hope.

Thanks

Daz

Attachments

• 20160402_134132.jpg
    20160402_134132.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks like the surface may have been overworked or the slab wasn't tamped enough.

No issue if it's going to be under a shed.

Hi newboy. Yes I spent a long time working the finished surface because it didn't look quite right and with that all of the bleed water kept getting disturbed and moved around quite a bit so maybe it was that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back