spanish electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there much difference between electrics in england and spain? i know they use radials more than rings etc, but i assume the regs are pretty much the same?

Sponsored Links
Installed an outside light at my parents house in spain.
Switched the 10A breaker off for what i ASSUMED was the lighting circuit and killed the supply not only to the lights but the supply to her iron whilst she was ironing the clothes in the bedroom and the tv whilst me old man was watching it in the living room. :eek:

afaict modern wiring practice in europe is not that different from the uk with the main differences being

1: lower rated radial socket cuircuits to go with thier unfused plugs.
2: conduit and singles instead of T&E.
3: sockets in bathrooms.

also it is likely that there are harmonisation clauses that would make wiring to BS7671 technically acceptable there (like the ones we have in approved document part P). However doing so is likely to nonethless raise some eyebrows

HOWEVER afaict old nasty wiring (no earths etc) is much more common than in the uk.

if you are just doing stuff for yourself or friends i wouldn't worry too much as long as what your doing is done safely. If you intend to become a sparky over there you should probablly do some more research into any laws (like our part P and eaw) and any accepted standards (like our bs7671)

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
afaict modern wiring practice in europe is not that different from the uk with the main differences being

1: lower rated radial socket cuircuits to go with thier unfused plugs.
2: conduit and singles instead of T&E.
3: sockets in bathrooms.

also it is likely that there are harmonisation clauses that would make wiring to BS7671 technically acceptable there (like the ones we have in approved document part P). However doing so is likely to nonethless raise some eyebrows

HOWEVER afaict old nasty wiring (no earths etc) is much more common than in the uk.

if you are just doing stuff for yourself or friends i wouldn't worry too much as long as what your doing is done safely. If you intend to become a sparky over there you should probablly do some more research into any laws (like our part P and eaw) and any accepted standards (like our bs7671)

thanx for that. was just wondering the differences if i was to move there. altho if i did, it wouldnt be for at least 3 years (till i come outta my time)

1) I'm not an electrician
2) I don't know about Spansih Regs
3) I can only comment on what I have seen in Andalucia (Spain's a big country)

There are abolutely no regs what so ever, the most dangerous gung ho installations I've ever seen.

I was told by a waiter whilst i was out there that they are going the same way as the uk. That is that the electrics will need to be certificated.
There is a written test to be done before you can certificate and i would imagine a practical one too, something like our 2391 maybe.
The stumbling block would be the language barrier, even if you got by speaking the language you would need to be pretty competent in the reading and writing department to fully understand the test paper.
Good luck if you are serious, you have time on your side.
John.

Back