Spare Central Heating Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a spare heating pump and would like to know if it is possible to put it inline with hot water pipe in the main bathroom and also the hot water pipe to the other side of the house in another bathroom so that the hot water pressure would increase to both bathrooms.

Sponsored Links
Afaik they have to be bronze type for secondary circulation. What you propose too is wrong.

The pump is a standard central heating pump, all I want to do is to boost my hot water pressure to the other bathroom because the system is a gravity-fed system and it takes a long time for the hot water to get to the other side of the house.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The pump is a standard central heating pump, all I want to do is to boost my hot water pressure to the other bathroom because the system is a gravity-fed system and it takes a long time for the hot water to get to the other side of the house.
You’ve answered your own question - it’s a standard central heating pump - clue is in the name - designed for central heating only. If you want to boost your hot water via a pump, you need a specific one for hot water. These are not my forte, but you’ll need a positive head or negative head - this can depend on where the pump will be positioned in relation to the cold water storage cistern.

Sponsored Links
I have seen a circulation pump used to get rid of the delay when turning on hot tap, but it does not increase pressure, and all pipes need lagging or it becomes like a central heating boiler and heats the house not good in summer, and of course twin pipe work feed and return to each tap. So really only done in hotels.

I know I should have when I replaced the hot water for instant heat boiled I should have replaced the pipes for smaller diameter ones, but that is a lot of work for little gain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back