Spare wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have disconnected an electric shower. removed connections from switch and shower and turned off and taped down MCB. As I now have a cable in the attic which could potentially be live if someone were to switch on the MCB is the correct way to have the MCB removed ? I assume I will need a spark to do it as there is no main switch just the MCBs and an RCD (hagen) and anyway I would not have a clue how to do it.

Is it possible just to attach a socket box to the cable to use in the attic if needed, or alternatively some way of terminating the cable to make it safe.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is always a main switch. If not, you need a spark on site pronto :!:

Post a photo of your consumer unit.

Have disconnected an electric shower. removed connections from switch and shower and turned off and taped down MCB. As I now have a cable in the attic which could potentially be live if someone were to switch on the MCB is the correct way to have the MCB removed ? I assume I will need a spark to do it as there is no main switch just the MCBs and an RCD (hagen) and anyway I would not have a clue how to do it.

Is it possible just to attach a socket box to the cable to use in the attic if needed, or alternatively some way of terminating the cable to make it safe.
Thanks

You could always put it in a junction box if removing the cable is not feasible. Although i cant see it costing too much for an electrician to disconnect the cable from the main fuse box.

Got me worried now. The CU is as I have described a line of MCBS and one RCD at the end nothing else anywhere except back of kitchen cabinet. Could there be a switch behind this? Meters etc are on the outside through the wall and there seems to be nothing in that cupboard. i can post a photo tomorrow but digicam batteries flat at the mo.

Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Links
The RCD at the end IS PROBABLY the main switch.

It should not be, but it often is.

To be sure, post a pic of the CU with the cover on. And say which CB is the one for the shower..

Thanks for your help. Picture posted in my albums not sure how to attach, just click on jabberwocki. switch second from left is old shower. the other switch which is an immersion heater which is never used.
Thanks

The RCD is the main switch.

However, your CU appears to have 3 circuits for showers.
If these were all in use, it is grossly overloaded.
Even 2 of them is far too much.

The hole at the left side should have a plastic cover over it.

There is actually only one electric shower in the house. First MCD is a shower pump for power shower. Is this OK. Perhaps I need to get some professional assistance ?

Firstly, here's your pic so everybody can see it!
Here's how to do it yourself
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

In your consumer unit you have an RCD as the incomer and it should not be like that - it means that any fault will cut power off to the whole house. I would recommend you get a spark to sort that out for you - he may recommend a replacement consumer unit.

If you feel up to it - for your redundant circuit.

Turn the power off by operating the main switch.
Take the cover off the consumer unit
Check the power is off using a tester
Be careful, the cables into the main switch will still be LIVE
Remove the live conductor of the old shower circuit from the top of its MCB
Identify the neutral and live cables of that circuit and disconnect them too
Pull the old cable out of the consumer unit enclosure.

You can either leave the old MCB in the enclosure, or remove it and fit a blanking panel. There should be blanks covering the open area to the left of the unit.

Job done.

a B40 for a shower pump seems a bit excessive?

did it originally supply an electric shower and its since been converted?

The mcb should probably be downrated if thats the case.

Thanks for all the good advice will look to have a switch put in and temporarily disconnect the shower cable as advised. Havent been in the house long so I contacted previous owner who confirmed the original shower waselectric and a pump has beee put in its place hence the excessive MCB. Would it be best to have this changed as I will then mention to the electrician and get it done at the same time.

again thanks all of you for your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back