Disconnect electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I've recently renovated my bathroom including removing the old 10.5kw electric shower. The cable is still in place as impossible to remove.
The cable from shower to isolator is disconnected and the mcb is switched off (taped down so no one switches on). When you test it the earth wire does trip the rcb, but not live.

How can I permanently disconnect or make the cables safe? As mentioned due to previous wiring it's impossible remove the cables.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
cable from shower to isolator is disconnected and the mcb is switched off (taped down so no one switches on). When you test it the earth wire does trip the rcb, but not live.
What testing did this involve ?

Sponsored Links
If you need to ask that question it may be wiser for you to get an electrician to do it for you it's a ten minute job. It's simple to do ,but working inside a consumer unit is dangerous if you are not competent to do it safely.

Please explain what exactly you did ??
I touched the earth wire with the tester pen, it's possible it also touched the metal back box, and the rcb tripped. Tried again same thing.

Easier said than done to get a reliable Sparky who'll bother taking on a 10-minute job.

Just a basic detector pen
Thanks
That is all these are, basic. They shouldn’t be used for certain live testing and definitely not dead testing, or that’s how you might end up, dead.

Rather than disconnecting from the consumer unit, it might be easier to fit a 60amp junction box onto the end of the cable instead.

Yes shower to isolator is disconnected. The wire from isolator to CU is still in situ but switched off.
Does anything happen when you turn it on at the consumer unit?
Is there something making you think that is is unsafe how it is?

Does anything happen when you turn it on at the consumer unit?
Is there something making you think that is is unsafe how it is?
Yeah not sure why touching the earth, tripped the rcb, the live is dead but slightly unnerving it would still trip.
Prefer not leave them as they are, seems like a 60 amp junction box will be the easiest to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back