1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

sparkly flecks in artex,?

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by sonofrob, 14 Mar 2019.

1. sonofrob

sonofrob

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hello, recently been removing some artex with a scraper and water, came off a treat after being wiped with water a few times, anyway I had the stuff analised before I touched it and it came back clear, so no asbestos in it, after washing my clothes that's id been wearing I noticed that they have tiny sparkly flecks allover them when the light hits, I always thought asbestos was sparkly looking in the light??? but how can it be asbestos when ive had it checked already by the lab, what else could it be??? just a bit worried, anybody???

2. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    sonofrob, good evening.

OK the scrape test for Asbestos came in clear, that is all you have to worry about, really!!!

As for the sparkly bits? it may be a material called "Vermiculite" in a crushed form?

Did the report state that the material was a so called "textured coating"? most famously made by Polycell

if an accredited Lab. states it is not Asbestos. then it will not be Asbestos. in any form.

As a final aside? you cannot see with the naked eye Asbestos Fiber, these things are Microns in length [ a unit of length equal to one millionth of a meter]

Ken

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. sonofrob

sonofrob

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks for the reply,,,I thought it might be vermiculite from what id read somewhere but wasn't sure,,,it says on the report artex, textured coating, and n.a.d.i.s beside it,,,no asbestos detected in sample,,,i got it done at ist risk management, chorley…...