Artex questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I wonder whether you can help.

I moved into my one bed bungalow 2 years ago and have always been slightly paranoid about the artex on the ceiling. I have had the Bedroom, Bathroom and Living room skimmed. However, there’s still artex on the kitchen and hallway ceilings.

What concerns me most is a small cupboard (1m by 1m) which houses a water storage tank. When i first moved in the artex on the ceiling looked flaky and not well care for, my dad covered it (plasterboard) but didn’t clear out the dust from the cupboard and i’ve never used it. However, I’d like to now deal with it and have been phoning companies to get it removed. I have a few questions:

(1) Those i have called for a quote to have it removed have mentioned having it tested – i am hesitant in case it does contain asbestos and we have to declare it (when selling, does it affect home insurance policies?). Any opinions?

(2) If it was removed ‘as asbestos’ how much do you think i would be charged? And

(3) Would companies come out to price up the job?
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Whilst it's true that some textured coatings do contain asbestos they are safe provided that they are managed correctly.

Try reading the attached HSE link for guidance.

As for it been picked up on a survey - was it picked up on the survey when you bought the property?

If it is picked up on a survey then it will be like a few million other house in the UK!

It's not difficult to sort out - just be wary of the firms out there who capitalise on concerned householders!

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/essentials/coatings.htm

Many thanks for your reply.

It was picked up on the survey we had before purchasing so we knew it was on the ceilings before moving in. I am specifically concerned about having it tested and it coming back containing asbestos, would be then have to declare this when selling or on home insurance policies?

I have phoned again for quotes for removal and i'm getting around £1000+VAT. How would you sort it out? I'm obviously wary about firms that play on the fear!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back