speaker cable

freddymercurystwin:..this may be the case for many people,but there are many people who do know the difference between VDH,Nordost and many other cable producers but it only when they are shown that those who can hear the difference will spend a little more :D ,but there is no point putting Nordost on a bush stereo when one plug costs more than the system,ok slight exageration but you know what i mean.

Sponsored Links
coincidentally; the guys who gave me the speaker cable, put the security alarm in Freddie Mercurys mum and sister houses here in Nottingham

So nerr! :LOL:

I have used 1mm twin and earth for the last 20 years. I have run blind comparisons against the like on QED etc with my brother and our family and twin and earth won.

Cheap as chips.

Sponsored Links
if you happy and it works for your budget the dont let a Salesman tell you otherwise.ive been in this game since 1978 and to be honest 99.96% of the hi-fi community have done the same at one point or another.
(IF IT DONT BROKE DONT FIX IT)

To the OP.

I would definately agree that .75mm cable will be more than adequate for your main 5/7 speakers. After all, they won't be handling much current.

One thing I would add though, is it may be worth running a 2 core speaker cable as well as the screened line cable to your sub position. You never know if you decide to get a system that has an amplified sub feed with a passive sub, in which case the screened cable would be useless. Might be worth going up to 1.5mm or larger for this feed depending on power.

With regards to faceplate, do you really need them at all? A cable coming straight out of the wall into the back of the speaker, IMHO, is the neatest solution all round. And who knows, you may end up with speakers smaller than a single gang faceplate! I don't see there is any need to add extra loss into a system just to use the "standard" banana plugs for the sake of it. Feel free to put the single back boxes in but just pop the cables out and plaster over them. They will always be there in the future if you do wish to use face plates.

Anyway, that's my slant on it.

I hope it helps you and good luck with persuading the wife :)

Thanks again fellas, and thanks Dutch, i think i probably will just connect the tails straight into the speakers rather than using wallplates.

As long as the mrs can be persuaded. :)

Can anyone explain why one particular cable is better than another?
I have read articles about oxygen free cables, skin effect, etc and numerous accounts of "super cables" that ALL seem to be the "best"
I am a bit old now and my ears are probably not as good as they where, but i am blowed if I can hear any diffrence at all between cables.

One more thing. Whats the point of gold plated plugs if the sockets are not also gold plated?

Oxygen-free non-crystaline copper with gold plating brings enormous benefits

to the people that sell them

Oxygen-free non-crystaline copper with gold plating brings enormous benefits"]

But no-one tells me Why. They, like you just say it does !
Its rather like saying that this magic bean is better than that one..

to the people that sell them

Johnd,

couldn't agree more. All this; we can supply your speaker cable, it's ofc, silver plated, mil10385 spec and Nasa approved and only £2 per metre is, IMHO, is a great big load of wa@k.

In all the commercial installs I've done in the last ten years albeit 100 volt line or low impedance the oxygen free bollix don't mean anything. Quantity of copper rules. Youneed power/bass then choose 2.5mm and above. Surround speakers need no more than .75. If not less. Anyone that tells you ofc/mil spec obviously have a financial interest in the business with no interest in what the average punter NEEDS.

As public enemy said years ago - "Dont believe the hype"

I particulaly like the reference to house wiring making a diffrence :LOL:

But if anyone still wishes to tell me that one wire is better than another please feel free !!

I personally think its a lot of oversell, unless you are running extremely high quality reference components.

I have a reasonable system, with big KEF floorstanders as the mains, and I went from OFC cable that cost £10/m 10 years ago to this.

The listening impression I got is a bigger sound stage, and more tightly controlled bass.

Considering I got the 305m drum of cat5e cable for 30 quid, thats cheap speaker cable!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back