spec for underfloor heating...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to one and all,
would like some advice on the spec and makes of u-floor heating as it seems like a bit of a minefield out there,and cheapest aint always best...
need 7m2, half conc. half well isulated 18mm wbp ply.Planning on using thermal board and will try and get loose cable bedded in tile adhesive then covered with self leveller. Final covering will be 10mm natural slate. Sorry for waffling on, and advice experience etc will be greatly appreciated, cheers, joe :D

Sponsored Links
Er, what's your question?

It's obvious to me that he requires a recommendation regarding underfloor heating....

would like some advice on the spec and makes of u-floor heating as it seems like a bit of a minefield out there,and cheapest aint always best...

Sorry, I've not fitted enough to be able to recommend any particular makes though I'm sure there are members here who would be glad to help, like TTC above.

Sponsored Links
Indeed. If you are heating the room then its wet underfloor heating - usually an electric system if you just want warm feet getting out of the bath...

Give us a clue....

It's obvious to me that he requires a recommendation regarding underfloor heating....
OK then. Since it's so "obvious" to you, can you explain why the OP is asking for a 'spec and make' when she has already decided on some kind of home-made electric system?

Sorry, I've not fitted enough to be able to recommend any particular makes though I'm sure there are members here who would be glad to help, like TTC above.
We're all glad to help, but since you're not capable of asking even the most basic question in order to find out what the OP wants, the only "obvious" thing on this topic is that you're unable to.

OK. I see OP has already decided its going to be electric.

OK, next basic question:

What is the room - bathroom, sauna, kitchen?????

It depends if you want warm feet, or heating the whole room.
My system may not be of interest as it is a wet system, not cable ... but thought process may be of use.

I have installed whole house UFH, and this is great (would NEVER go back to standard rads)
The secret of successful UFH is low level gentle heat.
UFH had a bad name in late 60's/70's building as electrical heating elements were run too hot, and had poor thermal insulation.
So it was uncomfortable.

My UFH is run using warm water .. rather than hot, with individual zone vale & digital thermostat per room.

I did add non-Ferrous heated towel rails in bathroom ... to give extra heat, and provide drying of towels when UFH is off ... these are on the DHW circuit.
This is a p umped loop ... so instant HW when you open any tap .. no delay, so no water wastage.

The UFH system I installed is manufactured by NuHeat.

OK then. Since it's so "obvious" to you, can you explain why the OP is asking for a 'spec and make' when she has already decided on some kind of home-made electric system?

Maybe the OP wants a recommendation of manufacturer and which would be better - mat kits or cable kits.....pretty obvious (to me).

Also, I'm not sure he wanted to go down the 'home-made' route. Still, I guess the OP will clarify when they get time.

We're all glad to help, but since you're not capable of asking even the most basic question in order to find out what the OP wants, the only "obvious" thing on this topic is that you're unable to.

So why didn't you help then instead of posting a sarcastic reply?

As I said, I didn't have enough experience to recommend one make over another. I've installed one electric mat system and one electric cable system and can't recall the manufacturer of either one.

We are using the Thermolay electric cable system in our bathrooms to warm the tiled floor and are very happy with it. As others have said if it is just the tiles you want to warm it is fine but it wont heat the whole room.

They do a few different systems. Have a look at: http://www.timeguard.com

Alright guys- go easy on each other!
want electric due to the height increase-its a kitchen and the units are already in, although i have seen a 7mm pumped system but not looked into it properly...have a rad at present in the kitchen so guess just warming the tootsies would be ok, again price is an issue and there would be a big difference.
screwfix do a klima and seams reasonable,a local tile supplier deal with warmup, the 7m2 i think comes in at about £230 inc digi thermostat but no thermal board. what i need help with is the spec and output between brands and price-ranges. Any recommendations from the sparkies or builders out there would be great

So why didn't you help then instead of posting a sarcastic reply?
If you think that this:-

...is sarcasm then you need a new dictionary. I didn't understand what his question was, so I asked. You don't get much straighter talking than that.

As I said, I didn't have enough experience to recommend one make over another. I've installed one electric mat system and one electric cable system and can't recall the manufacturer of either one.
Well that certainly explains why you posted a sarcastic reply instead of helping. :rolleyes:

If you think that this:-

...is sarcasm then you need a new dictionary. I didn't understand what his question was, so I asked. You don't get much straighter talking than that.

Don't you think it might be something to do with wanting advice on the spec and makes of under-floor heating?

Well that certainly explains why you posted a sarcastic reply instead of helping. :rolleyes:

Tit for tat? I'll leave you to it :LOL:

For warm tiles, rather than room-heating, go for a 150 or 160W per sqm mat. They're all pretty much the same as each other, but I have just fitted this system in my kitchen. It's a really good price and they do quick delivery and they also supply the touch screen programmers. The mat's 3mm like most others.

When you measure up, leave 100mm gap around the edge so that a) you're not heating unnecessary parts of the floor, and b) you have somewhere to put any excess, because you can't cut off any surplus.

Don't you think it might be something to do with wanting advice on the spec and makes of under-floor heating?
Of course it might.

Or it could be something even more vague. Oh hang on - no it couldn't. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back