Specific chimney breast removal practicality questions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of buying a Victorian terraced house and the chimney breast of one of the downstairs rooms sticks out quite a lot into the room so it would make sense to remove it to regain some floor space. There is no fireplace as it was bricked up many years ago (and the surveyor said that if we didn't remove the chimney breast we would have to put some ventilation into the chimney breast).

The wall that the chimney breast is attached to is the outer wall of the house which in many terraced houses would be the neighbour's living room wall. However, the other side of the wall is not immediately our next door neighbour's living room, because there is a shared passageway with an arched roof to our respective back gardens that runs between the two houses at ground level. The wall that divides the two houses at first floor level sits on top of the passageway, presumably over the keystones of the arch. The first floor bedroom still has its chimney breast, but the chimney breast of the first floor doesn't sit directly on top of the chimney breast of the living room chimney breast but must have an S-shaped curve in it somewhere around the level of the ground floor ceiling.

Here are my questions.

1. Is the wall of the living room considered a party wall? I read somewhere that if you want to do work on a party wall you have to serve two months notice to your neighbour before you can start work. If that's the case then it's a non-starter. We haven't yet exchanged contracts with the vendor of our house, and we want to move in a couple of weeks after completion, to give us time to do various jobs on the house first. We want to remove the chimney breast immediately after completion, rather than living in the house for two months before starting work!

2. Will building regs need to be involved, given that above the level of the ceiling of the ground floor there is almost no weight of chimney, other than where it curves around the arch of the passageway to connect to the first floor chimney breast? I presume we'd still need to fit some sort of beam to support the weight of bricks, but there would only be a couple of layers of bricks to support rather than the height of the entire chimney stack.

3. The room has its original coving all the way around the chimney breast. Can this be carefully removed and reused to cover the gap where the chimney once occupied? Otherwise we'd have to remove coving from the whole room and recove as I doubt we'd find an identical match.

4. How long should we factor in for the work to take, including making good the coving and replastering the wall? As said before, we want to move in within a few days of completion.

5. Any suggestion for what to budget for (including skip, replastering etc)? House is in the Midlands.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Q1, no its not a party wall as I understand it, if you share a side of a wall each then yes, but the living room is all your wall. Don't worry too much about the notice etc, most people don't care. The notice is solely for the benefit of your neighbour.
Q2, building control will want to either inspector or see some evidence of the work.
Q3, the coving will most likely be plaster, and simply its too difficult to recover.
Q4, I did a complete removal in my house in 3 days (with my brother). Repairing took about another 5/6 days.
Q5, cost to me was about £300-400 for me. But if you pay someone else, could cost about £2000.

But I've only ever done mine!

My question would be, are you thinking about removing all the chimney or just one room?

Good luck

Thanks for advice. Plan is only to remove chminey breast from downstairs room at the moment - time is short, upstairs room recently decorated to our taste, upstairs chimmney breast is against party wall so issues there and upstairs chimney breast doesn't sit on top of downstairs chimney so removing downstairs means nothing needs supporting above.

Any suggestions how to make good the gap in coving where the chimney breast will have been if it can't be saved? Can it be made up and if so how long does that take and how much cost for a couple of metres?

I think this wall, if it is attached to the next door in any way would class as a party wall. I'm pretty sure it is a legal requirement to give your neighbor notice of any work that may effect their wall. The two month notice is very rarely seen out as next door usually say yeah or no within a couple of days.

Sponsored Links
You can make a dummy section of coving out of wood providing its not too complicated. I suggested this to my Brother-in-law (who is not a DIY expert) and the results were excellent. When finishing it off, wrap your sandpaper around suitabley shaped long pieces of wood (>15"?), this will equalise the contours between the old and new coving.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back