Specify an Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am undergoing as house refurb, whilst we are redecorating/rewiring I am having an alarm installed.

My builder has asked me to clarify the details.

Do you have a preference for wired or wireless?
~ Are there any advantages of wireless in this scenario?

Do you require remote monitoring? (i) via a smartphone app with notifications and functionality to set and unset the alarm, (ii) via connection to the police with a subscription service?
~ I am leaning towards (i) - is this sensible?

I would like to make sure that the alarm make/model they specify is up to scratch. Are there a couple of recommended makes/models that I should watch for/request?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Wired alarms are more flexible then wireless.
If possible wire your devices back to a single point,also run a cat5e if possible as this can be used at a later date if not required.
Most modern control panels can have hybrid comparability wired and wireless devices.
Connections for monitoring can be app based,sms text,phone dialler etc.these can be added later if you have prepared for them.

If you are having the whole house refurbished then it makes sense to go wired. No point going to the added expense and future maintenance/battery costs of wireless if you can get cables in easily. As for monitoring, it's completely up to you. You don't have to have either the app or police response, but it would be better to have some kind of notification that the system has been activated than not. Bear in mind that most app based monitoring will rely on your home broadband being up, so won't work if the internet is down (phoneline maliciously cut?) or you have a mains power failure.

As for brands, every installer will have their own preferred brand that they know how to install properly and can provide the relevant support. As long as you are using a proper alarm company to install the system, you should be getting a quality product that does the job. I personally prefer Texecom, but there are many other decent brands out there too.

Sponsored Links
Hardwired first choice always.

wrt coms you have to be aware some options will not work during a power cut, others will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back