Speed fit insert not looking so good

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to change a redundant rad to one of those plinth heaters, pulled this pipe off the manifold to flush it through as it's been disconnected and found the o ring has seen better days. I thought speedfit was supposed to be good for 25 years plus?
15213216898746768443818507029395.jpg
Was all new pipe and fittings, flushed, no new soldered joints at that stage, and was serving a rad until a few months ago.
Anyone else seen this or was it just a bad batch?

Sponsored Links
Yup, +1, I'd agree, looks like that one was pinched when inserted and the rubber eventually disintegrated. Wouldn't worry as the primary seal isn't made at that point, rather at the seal in the fitting.

I always wet the superseals when inserting to try and avoid that.

Thanks both, I did suspect that, generally nowadays I put some silicone grease on the orings but they don't recommend it in the instructions

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, I did suspect that, generally nowadays I put some silicone grease on the orings but they don't recommend it in the instructions
Do you mean they say "Do not use silicone lubricant" or do they simply omit to suggest using a lubricant

Do you mean they say "Do not use silicone lubricant" or do they simply omit to suggest using a lubricant
CORRECTION/edit actually I can't find any information any more, I looked when I first thought about using it and it was the former, they tell you not to put anything on at all.

Perhaps they were worried about old school plumbers fluxing the inserts:whistle:

I'll carry on with the silicone grease for now.

Last edited:
Not sure about Speedfit, but Hep2o Have a WRAS approved silicone spray, I have never had to use it as their fittings come pre lubricated from the factory.
Also not a big fan of plastic inserts as they tend to reduce the bore more than the stainless steel ones do

Thanks, although reducing the bore for 2çm distance won't do much unless you have a very high water velocity.
I was playing with a shutoff valve and until it was a millimetre off closed the flow was barely lower than fully open.
An insert is probably equivalent to a metre or so if plain pipe. Haven't found any official figures or done any measurements thighh before anyone jumps on me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back