Speedfit fittings onto copper pipe - immediate blow off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've hunted around but can find nothing that matches what's just happened to me, so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and I've missed the posting.

I've just moved into a house which has a downstairs toilet but no sink, the toliet's been there for 25 years, and there's an open hot water pipe end, with valve, sticking through the wall. There's also a closed end of a cold feed accessable, branched from the feed to the toliet.

So i've cleaned the paint from the copper with wire wool, deburred the ends,bought speedfit push fit connectors & isolation valves (as the existing hot isolation valve is on the other side of the internal wall in the kitchen), 15mm speedfit pipe, and connected the sink tap up. I've opened the original hot and cold isolation values and instantly both pushfit connectors have blown off the copper side of their connections, creating a fair flood in the process.

Before I turned the water back on I pulled on those connectors and couldn't get them to budge, so whats possibly wrong? - all the plastic connections took the pressure, it was the plastic-to-copper that let go, on both pipes.

I must have missed something obvious here, I pushed the pipes in the connectors and confirmed I couldn't then pull the connectors off.

A friend has suggested that the pipes I'm connecting to could be old 1/2 inch rather than 15mm, and using a micometer it looks as though they're just shy of 15, but it's a tiny tiny fraction - if you take the micrometer from the copper to the plastic the jaws will slide over the edges of the plastic pipe.

Is that it? - are the pipes and old size - or have I done something daft?

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Will be imperial 1/2" copper not 15mm metric which the push fit is for.
Not much of a difference as compression fittings work ok on the imperial 1/2" but they compress onto the pipe taking up that difference but enough for push fit to blow off or leak past the o-ring.

As said, use a compression fitting onto the old copper and speedfit into that, don't forget the insert ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back