Spirit Level Oddity

Sponsored Links
Best advice is buy it in a store not online that way you can try it turned witch-way and that, to see it remains true before buying.

I get the impression that with the cheapy levels they will be true initially but the drifts away whereas the more expensive ones are more reliable and robust in this respect.

Sponsored Links
Best advice is buy it in a store not online that way you can try it turned witch-way and that, to see it remains true before buying.

+1 for this method, around 15years ago when I bought my 4 ft Stanley level I went around the sheds and must have tested dozens before I found one that came up to scratch .

In one branch of Homebase there was a rack of 15-20 of what I bought and couldn't believe how far out some of them were.
Maybe the accuracy has improved these days but I'm not taking any chances and look after my level well.
Litl

but isn't that the attraction with something like Stabila? You can be sure about what you are getting?

I wouldn't go to multiple showrooms to test drive a BMW...

I was hoping someone will suggest a particular brand with some conviction and I can then order that.

stabila 96-2??

Last edited:
That will be a good buy......do you really need one as long as that? Brilliant when you do, but a bit of a pain when you don't. Better get another one as well :mrgreen:
John :)

Us brickies use a 600mm and a 1200mm Stabila. 50mm wide solid bar. Plumbing vial at EACH end. Horizontal vial in the top edge and NOT set in the middle of the bar.

Big thick levels are unwieldy.

Having a pitchfinder at one end means having to flip the level all the time. Utter pants.

Having the horizontal vial set in the middle of the bar is equally as pants. Us brickies use our levels a lot.

upload_2016-4-6_20-31-40.png

Last edited:
I use Stabila R-type levels for carpentry (several) - but I have a 96-2 magnetic 1200mm for metal lath, etc. Good level which whould last a lifetime and was accurate out of the box - one of the things you pay for

I use Stanley FatMax levels, if you need an 1800mm long one then go here

Guaranteed accurate to 0.5mm in eight orientations, and strong enough to jump up and down on (don't actually do this though!). Had a ten year accuracy guarantee when I bought mine, I assume this is still a thing

thanks @muggles.
I ordered a Stabila from Screwfix as per earlier post but when I went for collection, I was informed that they are out of stock. Since I needed a level for the weekend, I checked on what was in stock and funnily enough it was the exact one you mentioned. Im very happy with its use thus far. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back