spirit level problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I didn't think anything could go wrong with a spirit level. I bought a new Stabila 180cm level (costing £50) which I thought would last a lifetime. after about six months its got a humped back. although its only a mm or two out, it means I can't rely on it. Is this a common problem, should the supplier take it back and give me a new one?

elwisty

Sponsored Links
No, it's been pampered - cleaned & stored every time it's been used. It's not bent, just a gradual curve towards the centre.

Stabila levels are quaranteed for life. Take it back

What type is it? The girder type can bend, but very unusual for the box section ones to

I've only had two Stabilas in 25 years of regular use - Type 80e silver box ones - I only got a new one about 12 years ago because the bubble dye faded and it was getting on my nerves

Otherwise for light use, you should be able to level your coffin with it

Sponsored Links
Never been a fan of the Stabilas, they seem too lightweight to be strong, give me a Stanley FatMax XL any day

Heat/Cold extremes can effect metal. But I'd put a penny on a sit/drop. Not saying you were aware of it, but accidents do happen. Anyway... life time warrantee.. return it.

Never been a fan of the Stabilas, they seem too lightweight to be strong, give me a Stanley FatMax XL any day
I am a fan of Stabilas-- have 3 1000 girder levels
1/ a bit mucky-- used for groundwork
2/ bit muckier and used for brickwork
3/ pristine and used for internal work
Bought first one about 20 years ago £60 ish
second one not long after-a few quid dearer
3/ maybe 15 years ago 70 something pounds .

Now I believe thay are all around £100 mark . In my opinion- well worth it .
I also have 2 longer box section Stabilas 1 I think is 2m -- only used for setting out and another similar one that I sawed some inches off- so It would fit into door casings/frames to help me plumbing up.
Also- 1 600 ish Stablia box level and also 2 stabila boat levels -- that have lost the fluid bubble colouring- but- its no big deal.
I would recommend them totally -- remember- you get what you pay for .

For DIY ers- almost anything will do --but- if your livelihood depends on results- go for the best and it helps you avoid the 'whatabout this and whatabout that customers .

I always wonder- - when Ive gone to the big builders forum in the sky-- just who will end up with my tools !! Anyone else thought of this ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back