Split Roof Batten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

A quick question regarding a damaged roof batten on my 1930's house. I was in the loft this evening and noticed that one of the battens has broken in one section, split in another - both points of damage are on the same batten but separated by a rafter. I've lived in the house for approx. 2 years and the previous owners had the entire underside of the loft covered in plastic, trapping loads of moisture. I removed this plastic covering and have since added some ventilation, it's dried out nicely but still get some condensation from time to time. The question is, is this detrimental to my roof, or is this something that I can repair myself? Adding another batten section underneath and screwing (carefully with pilot holes) it to the old batten perhaps? All still seems relatively solid although some of the tiles in the break section move slightly more than others. I'd just have to be careful not to push the nail out of the top side of the tile when bringing this section back together.

Thank you in advance!

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2996.jpg
    IMG_2996.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2997.jpg
    IMG_2997.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2999.jpg
    IMG_2999.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Fitting a support batten or two below it would work well in the method you describe and will stop anything moving downhill.

Thank you for your replies! I'll give it a try and will update this post with the end result. I plan to use screws to join the battens together, drilling pilot holes before hand screwing the extra batten into position. I'll cut it to the exact width between the rafters and gently tap it into position. I was just wary that by butting another batten up behind the existing one, the presence of this may slightly push the existing tile nails out of the top of the tile (as the tips of the nails have protruded through the exiting batten). I'll see how it goes, thank you again!

Sponsored Links
Cut it 20" you should be able to slide it in , then you can screw it t the rafter.

I would use brass screws rather than steel (or indeed "brassed") ones, to avoid rusting in future

Thank you all again for your insight! Repair completed today using some pressure treated timber, cut to length and some small holes drilled to allow clearance for the protruding roof tile nails. Once some pilot holes had been drilled, I applied some wood glue (particularly in the part of the batten that had split between layers) and screwed it all together. Nice and solid so shouldn't cause any more problems.

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3122.jpg
    IMG_3122.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 24

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back