Split virgin broadband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any help please..
Due to cost of heating mom moved into front room where there exists a virgin feed to the broadband router .
However moms Tivo box is in the room she’s moving ou and Itis fed by a separate feed
So…
Whilst mom is now in front room is it possible to put some sort of split on the broadband feed to the router already in the front room and then feed the TiVo if I move it into the front room temporarily…
So doing nothing illegal like an additional Tivo.. just want to move it temporarily for my mom until the summer
Thanks to anyone

Sponsored Links
You should be able to use a couple of powerline adapters assuming you have ethernet ports on the router and whatever device (TV?) you're trying to connect to in the new room - or a long CAT5 cable.

Thanks for prompt reply appreciated
Have power lines already feeding a laptop to moms normal room already
So thought i could use these however when I looked at Back of TiVo it has A direct feed from the outside like the router has . It isn’t an Ethernet connection
( unless I could use one ???? )

Attachments

• CCF2240B-BD0A-4092-A91C-12A3356AFD47.jpeg
    CCF2240B-BD0A-4092-A91C-12A3356AFD47.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Ah... I'm not familiar with Tivo but assume it's like a satellite box. Can you not get instead a long satellite cable and possibly a barrel connector (for connecting plug to plug where it joins)?

If I get it the TiVo out from where it is as it is in an alcove has it got an Ethernet connection as well on the back ???

Running a long cable was an idea but to keep the cable tidy it would be about 20m run round the back of furniture etc

I don't know about Tivo's but maybe first try and see if it's ethernet port is active and is providing an output by plugging in a laptop with a short ethernet cable and see if you can get internet pages.. then check the TV has ethernet connection input too. If so on both, then the powerline plugs should work - but that's assuming you have a smart TV and like I said I don't know about the Tivo but suspect if it's some kind of set top box then it really needs to be beside the TV.

any help please..
Due to cost of heating mom moved into front room where there exists a virgin feed to the broadband router .
However moms Tivo box is in the room she’s moving ou and Itis fed by a separate feed
So…
Whilst mom is now in front room is it possible to put some sort of split on the broadband feed to the router already in the front room and then feed the TiVo if I move it into the front room temporarily…
So doing nothing illegal like an additional Tivo.. just want to move it temporarily for my mom until the summer
Thanks to anyone
So there is a cable to the broadband router in the front room? Where is the incoming cable actually split? It might be in one of those brown boxes on the outside wall of the house.

Find that box, replace the splitter with a double ended f type connector, work out which cable feeds the front room, and connect that leaving the old feed to the room she's moved out of unused. Then go into the front room and insert the cable splitter into the feed to that room and connect the other end of the splitter to your Tivo box.

You might need two lengths of coax cable with male f type connectors on each end.

any help please..
So…
Thanks to anyone
I can't be bothered to read through the snarky comments...

The plug in your image is an F-type connection. If the box elsewhere has a similar F-type connection, you need a 3 way splitter.

You then need cable. They sell a cable called CT100 (by all accounts it isn't really CT100 but it should work)

(they now, finally call it GT100).

You will then need to fit a male F-type connector (at the source, and the supply end).

The fittings have a thread that screws on to the cable. I prefer the crimp types but if you only need to do two, go for the cheaper tool free option.

You can source the items elsewhere for less.

So there is a cable to the broadband router in the front room? Where is the incoming cable actually split? It might be in one of those brown boxes on the outside wall of the house.

Find that box, replace the splitter with a double ended f type connector, work out which cable feeds the front room, and connect that leaving the old feed to the room she's moved out of unused. Then go into the front room and insert the cable splitter into the feed to that room and connect the other end of the splitter to your Tivo box.

You might need two lengths of coax cable with male f type connectors on each end.
This is very good advice. Get rid of the unused branch, otherwise you'll end up with half the power level you currently have and will get issues as a result of the reflections from its unconnected end.

Or just tell your mum not to worry so much and/or you could pay her bills!

Speaking of which, if she's hard-up to the point of suffering then how much is the broadband & TV costing? When I was with Virgin their prices were very high. We pay £26 a month for broadband via a BT phone line and nothing for TV, but we do have heating.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your help
Couldn’t get of the old branch/wiring as mom will move back on not the main larger room when weather warmer
Sorted now ordered a splitter kit
Splitter with a couple of 1m cables
So can still have router connected now also the TiVo box as well
Thanks again to everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back