Broadband issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

got sky broadband here, recently replaced the old modem and seperate router with a modem/router (sky branded) hoping it would sort a few issues i'm having

whilst the speeds have significantly increased, i still have issues with it randomly going down

so, it's obviously a line issue

this is where it gets interesting, so it's plugged into an extension socket in the rear sitting room, fair enough always worked fine etc

anyway, i decided today to trace the cable and see where it ran, it runs accross the back of the house to the garage, and in the garage i have found a telephone socket.....this looks like the master socket? it's large with a removable cover on the top (i had thought the one in the hallway is the master socket)

tracing the cable to the master socket, it seems to run accross the garage room to the junction box on the front of the house

anyway, what should i try next to try and narrow down the issue? i had considered installing the router in the garage temporarily and running a speed check to ensure it's the master socket?

sorry for the long winded post, it's just confused me

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am a DIY'er so ignore if you choose! :)

I don't believe a speed check will necessarily tell you whether you are connected to the master socket.
Broadband speeds will tend to be better and more reliable if the router is connected to the master (especially if it through a vDSL/ADSL faceplate), although this isn't guaranteed.

The very first socket coming in from the external junction box should be the master.
But you say you have another socket in the hallway - are you able to see where this is connected to?

If you are able to take a photo of the socket/s with and without the cover on, we may be able to help identify them.

There's a nice summary of typical UK phone wiring here:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Telecoms/Telephone Wiring.htm

My first troubleshooting step would be to record dropouts (can you check router logs? Is your internet dropping out completely, or is it a WiFi issue?), and then connect the router directly to the master socket (and if possible disconnect any extension wiring); then see if you still have the dropout issues.

as random said pics will help. do you know where your phone line enters the house? it could be that the hall socket is the master and the garage socket should be a slave/extension or it could just have been used as a junction box twixt wiring from back of house to front. have you got any micro filters plugged in anywhere?

I had no end of issues when I was with TalkTalk and later Plusnet. The issue was very rarely with the kit nor the provider -- it was with the copper wire and the multitude of connections and joints between me and the exchange. I think in 2020 I raised 11 tickets with five engineer visits! I had a single master socket at the end of the telephone cable (from the street pole) and the issue was never inside. I know it's not really a help to you, but I think the issue is probably external.

In the end I switched to Virgin (internet only) as they use their own line and so far, that as been far more reliable and faster.

Sponsored Links
seemingly the junction box on the front of the house has 2 cables coming out of it, one leading to the garage and the other leading the socket in the hallway

which just makes it more confusing

phone line sounds absolutely fine on all phones plus a test call on the alarm dialler.......just very perplexing as to why there now seems to be 2 master sockets, and why this has only just become an issue

i'm very tempted to run a new line from either the garage or the hallway socket, or at least try moving the router to the hall

It's possible you may have had two different lines at one point.
Theoretically there may be a problem having two masters on one line, as you have two sets of filters. In practice there may be no noticeable effects.

If you intend to use the hallway for the router, again I would look at getting a vDSL/ADSL faceplate.
A picture of the socket and wiring could help us confirm if it is a master.

the two cables from the junction box on the front could be simply one for the master and another for the extension(s). the extension could even have been wired from the hall back to the junction box then on to the garage etc using the same cable as the hall socket.
as we said pics will help

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back