Telephone extension line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having trouble with my Broadband connection and would like to confirm a few things with you learned chaps on here, before i start accusing my supplier. Firstly my Modem/router is connected to one of three extension sockets i have in my house, I wired the sockets 10 years ago now, in 6 core alarm cable and have never had a problem with them. I used three of the cores (for 2,3 & 5 as i call them) and connected them to the rear of the master socket adapter plate. I have since fitted what i call an "I PLATE" onto the face of the master socket, which actually made a difference in broadband speed for a while.
I have been told to CUT out the "ringer wire" on my outgoing extension cable from the master, which i am presuming is the "3" at the master socket, will this make any difference if i already have the "I PLATE" fitted? Also does having the "I PLATE" fitted mean that i no longer need filters attached to other outlets in the house ?
I have tried connecting the modem/router to the master socket, but that makes no difference in speed. The biggest problem is that broadband speed can be good for a while but usually after a week or so it drops down again. Basically the question i am asking is CAN I DO ANYMORE TO MAKE MY INTERNAL TELEPHONE CONNECTION ANY BETTER?

Sponsored Links
The best way to do ADSL installation is to fit a filter faceplate at the master socket, connect the router directly to it and run all the phone extentions off the filtered side of it. That way discontinuities, stubs and other crap that can interfere with high frequencies are kept to a minimum, your internal wiring is pretty much eliminated from the ADSL picture and as a bonus you can get rid of those horrible microfilters.

If you can't site the router next to the master socket for some reason then fit a faceplate filter as mentioned above but get one that has terminals for the unfiltered signal on the back. You can then route the unfiltered signal to a dedicated socket for the router using high quality cable (BT spec cable is the best thing to use, cat5 is also not bad, cheap DIY store phone cable should be avoided and alarm cable should definately be avoided)

Having said all that if the problem is intermittant I strongly suspect that the real issue is outside your house. Doing things internally as well as possible may improve things enough to make it reliable but it's a bit of a crapshoot.

Telephone cable is twisted pairs. Alarm cable is not twisted pair.

Twisted pair is far better for ADSL signals.

Intermittant connections are common when alarm cable is used in IDC ( punch down ) terminals in telephone sockets.

To follow the advice
If you can't site the router next to the master socket for some reason then fit a faceplate filter as mentioned above but get one that has terminals for the unfiltered signal on the back. You can then route the unfiltered signal to a dedicated socket for the router using high quality cable (BT spec cable is the best thing to use, cat5 is also not bad, cheap DIY store phone cable should be avoided and alarm cable should definately be avoided)
given by Pugwash is highly recommended.

http://solwise.co.uk/adsl-around-the-home.htm

There are other suppliers of suitable equipment

Great advice chaps, much appreciated. Because of a poor wireless signal , its best to connect the router wired from a ext socket, BUT i am looking at POWERLINE adapters, i know its outside the topic boundry, but what do you chaps think of them, Using these i will be able to connect my router to the master socket. ;)

Sponsored Links
First of all the alarm cable will cause you problems its ok for speech for no good for adsl...remove and replace if possible....poweline adaptors are quite good.I have my router into nte5 and ps3 upstairs served by a poerline adaptor...signal is excellent.mine are UPA comtrend not sure what ones are good/bad but I can only vouch for mine

Firstly my Modem/router is connected to one of three extension sockets i have in my house, I wired the sockets 10 years ago now, in 6 core alarm cable and have never had a problem with them. I used three of the cores (for 2,3 & 5 as i call them) and connected them to the rear of the master socket adapter plate. I have since fitted what i call an "I PLATE" onto the face of the master socket, which actually made a difference in broadband speed for a while.
I have been told to CUT out the "ringer wire" on my outgoing extension cable from the master, which i am presuming is the "3" at the master socket, will this make any difference if i already have the "I PLATE" fitted? Also does having the "I PLATE" fitted mean that i no longer need filters attached to other outlets in the house ?
I have tried connecting the modem/router to the master socket, but that makes no difference in speed. The biggest problem is that broadband speed can be good for a while but usually after a week or so it drops down again. Basically the question i am asking is CAN I DO ANYMORE TO MAKE MY INTERNAL TELEPHONE CONNECTION ANY BETTER?

(1) Alarm cable is not twisted pair, if you want to sort this problem correctly you will need to replace it with CW1308 or CAT5e.

(2)The I Plate has a bell wire filter(inductor) which eliminates noise on the ring wire(3), removing the ring wire will make no difference.
The I Plate is NOT an ADSL filter, for centralised ADSL filtering you need an ADSL faceplate.

If you have connected you modem/router to the test socket(behind the front plate where the I Plate plugs into) and you still get drop outs/speed issues then there is nothing you can do(assuming the internal wiring is correctky wired to the FRONT faceplate of the NTE5).

You do need to sort the internal wiring out though. Do the three sockets all wire back to the master or are they daisy chained together? If they are daisy chained how far down the line is the socket that the modem/router connects to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back