broadband issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a friends broadband connection has dropped ever since the sky man came and fitted a sky plus box,the engineer did fiddle with the wiring but i have been and looked and disconnected everything from the master socket,i then tried the router in the bt test socket and still no joy,the phone line is fine,all the cables seem ok,is it possible the master socket is at fault? i tried switching the master connections round in terms a and b but still the same

Sponsored Links
What wiring did he fiddle with. Does the phone line work normally and i assume you have disconnected the sky box for testing?

i think he disconnected an extension cable that was hard wired from the bt master socket,no idea why but now there are only plug in extension cables at this socket,ive already done the basics and removed every device from the master socket and tried the test socket,the phone works normally but the router wont connect,i brought the router home and it connects ok on my line,ive also tried swapping filters but its still the same

where did the sky man connect to the line........some of them take the shortest route and connecting in the nearest location and that might be before the nte

Sponsored Links
Why has he been messing with the wires then use a plug in extension....is this double filtered ?

like i said no idea why he messed with the wires but i have tried everything and am starting to think its something to do with the line

If it worked b4 sky man & dosnt work now, why not call sky?
Is bb sky or bt, just out of interest.

There could be two issues here.

1. Is broadband connection currently enabled?

2. Have Sky 'helpfully' migrated you to their service so your original login details fail.

To check 1 -
Log onto adsl system using - bt_test@startup_domain - you will not be able to surf web but should enable access to test page.

The above, which does not make use of your ISP at all, try to log in via your ISP with - bt_test_user@ZYZ - where XYZ is the part of your ISP login AFTER the '@' part.

The above will probably only work if your ADSL connection is routed through the normal BT ADSL and not extracted at the exchange by your ISP nor using a cable connection.

try to trace the wirng before the master socket back to where it leaves your just in case they sky guy has messed with it.

plugwash said:
try to trace the wirng before the master socket back to where it leaves your just in case they sky guy has messed with it.

If he has he was a naughty boy. Like the guy who wired a socket onto the drop wire in the attic for an auto dialler for an intruder alarm.

no sign of fiddling,the bt master is as installed now with just the 2 a and b connections and no extensions,the cable coming into the house looks undamaged,the broadband is provided by sky,its as if the line has been disabled

Has he recently changes from another sp to sky,if that is the case the line has to be re-routed in your local telephone exchange to the new sp equipment and the problem could be in the exchange ,this could have been changed over when the sky engineer was there.

Also when you say it has "dropped" does this mean total loss of bb service or has the speed dropped

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back