Splitting a satelitte cable for recording?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed the satellite myself during the world cup so I could get freesat HD channels.
Im now thinking of getting a hd recorder; my system at the moment is a single lnb so I presume id need to install a double lnb and run two cables to the recorder.
Am I being stupid but is it possible just to split the cable using a Splitter rather that upgrading the lnb and running another cable?
I wouldn't mind freesat upstairs as well so would I have to get a triple lnb or split it three times? I'd prefer to ask a silly question than cause myself unnecessary work :) many thanks

Sponsored Links
You're right - Satellite works differently to TV.

The box sends signals to each of the LNB receivers in a dual/quad/octo LNB to switch between 4 different states. Trying to run two receivers off a single LNB cable will cause a conflict. You definitely need multiple cables if you want to run more than one satellite tuner.

Satellite tuners switch the LNB into one of four modes (two frequency bands and two polarisations) so you can't just split the signal.

For up to 8 tuners you can use LNBs with multiple outputs.

If you want more than 8 tuners (not that you do right now but if you decide to go pure freesat it's not difficult to get to 8 ) you use a quattro LNB (not the same thing as a quad lnb) and a multiswitch. The "quattro" LNB provides the signals for all four modes at the same time through four cables to the multiswitch (some but not all multiswitches can also work with a normal quad LNB) and then the multiswitch sends the correct signals to each tuner. Generally a larger dish is used to feed a multiswitch system to make up for noise/interference introduced but the multiswitch.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back