Freesat To Multiple Rooms With Octo LNB

It did my house with an Octo LNB. It's a messy job and was a right pain at the time.
But I'm SO glad that I did it now. Freesat / Sky in every room without the need for boxes, boosters, splitters etc. I used good quality products, long cable runs so the signal is rock solid.
You're on the right track. Good luck!

Yeah I keep telling myself that it will be worth it once it’s done. My upstairs is easy to do due to the partition walls and also TVs are wall mounted so not far to travel with the cables from loft to the termination point. The lounge is the worst room and needs doing as the freeview aerial feed has NO extra cable left on it and it’s dropping in and out - there is no slack on the cable to pull any more down as it’s all plastered in.

if you have a wall chase open to run the sat cable run some cat 5/6 in at the same time.

"
Also, is it possible to get extra flexible patch cables for the wall to Freesat box" you could re use the thinner sky supplied cable to make up flyleads

I’m in the process of running cat 6 in house as well - some rooms are done but at the moment I’m trying to work out where is best to put the data cabinet.

Did you use conduit for your sky cable in the wall if so which size ?

Sponsored Links
I’m in the process of running cat 6 in house as well - some rooms are done but at the moment I’m trying to work out where is best to put the data cabinet.

You also need to consider where the incoming feed (Openreach/Virgin) will terminate. You will also need a mains power supply at the same point.

For instance in my dads bungalow I've put the data 'center' in the loft roughly cable equal distance from all needed points; 2 to the main TV point, 1 to alarm, 1 to CCTV system, 2 to the 'office'/study, 1 to each bedroom and 1 at each end of the kitchen. The incoming Openreach line NTE is just under the the location of the data cabinet.

In my house the router hub is the broom cupboard in the middle of the house and data cables spread from there. Feed from NTE to router is by a new cable. What that means is when I'm forced to go to FTTP I have to reconsider where the data 'centre' will be. Typically the fibre feed for use internal (domestic) purposes has 15mtrs of suitable sheath and has curvature restraints.

Yeah I keep telling myself that it will be worth it once it’s done. My upstairs is easy to do due to the partition walls and also TVs are wall mounted so not far to travel with the cables from loft to the termination point. The lounge is the worst room and needs doing as the freeview aerial feed has NO extra cable left on it and it’s dropping in and out - there is no slack on the cable to pull any more down as it’s all plastered in.

Did you use conduit for your sky cable in the wall if so which size ?
No conduit, as the house is timber frame so basically all stud walls which makes for easy cable runs

You also need to consider where the incoming feed (Openreach/Virgin) will terminate. You will also need a mains power supply at the same point.

For instance in my dads bungalow I've put the data 'center' in the loft roughly cable equal distance from all needed points; 2 to the main TV point, 1 to alarm, 1 to CCTV system, 2 to the 'office'/study, 1 to each bedroom and 1 at each end of the kitchen. The incoming Openreach line NTE is just under the the location of the data cabinet.

In my house the router hub is the broom cupboard in the middle of the house and data cables spread from there. Feed from NTE to router is by a new cable. What that means is when I'm forced to go to FTTP I have to reconsider where the data 'centre' will be. Typically the fibre feed for use internal (domestic) purposes has 15mtrs of suitable sheath and has curvature restraints.

I have FTTP and the fibre cable goes into an Openreach modem and then from that there is an Ethernet cable feeding the hub. I have now moved my router upstairs so the main incoming is extended. Granted it’s not extended using pure fibre feed but cat 6 is good enough for our uses and the system (once it’s been built!). I was going to have the rack in the office upstairs but have now thought about using the garage as there is a nice cavity to drop the cables down from the loft.

Sponsored Links
I didn't want the agro of a octo LNB. I have a Sky Q LNB and two cables to the loft and use a Triax SkyQ multiswitch. Each output carries a Sat/TV/Radio/etc which you can split using a triplex plate.

The box isn't cheap but it's soooo much easier and reduces the number of cables run outside the house. If you're in a position to run the cables easily / hide the cables internally it just makes sense tbh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back