splitting an existing supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to convert a single supply for a house into 2 separaate supplies for 2 flats. The existing supply is via a supplier fuse of unknown rating and 16 mm tails which lead to a Henley box. 16mm tails then lead to a redundant off peak meter and another set to a CU (split load 100A isolator and 80A 30mA RCD} This CU supp;ies:
2x 32A power rings, 2x 6A light rings, 1x 16A immersion. 1x52A cooker/oven and a 10kW shower.
Can I
1. ask the supplier to upgrade their existing fuse ,if necessary
and also change the 16mm meter tails to 25mm.
2..insert a 100A isolator switch after the meter tails and connect this to a Henley block leading to two CUs using 25mm tails.
One CU to supply 1x32A ring,1x6A ring, 1x32A cooker and the
second CU to supply 1x32A ring, 1X6A ring, !x16A immersion, 1x32A cooker/oven and 1x10kW shower.
OR
3. in view of the additional load i.e. another cooker/oven and possible greater demand by two flats for light and power, will i need a to have an additional supply installed.

I would appreciate your advice on one or all the above. Thanks in anticipation. helector

Sponsored Links
Have you got two meters ? Splitting the supply into two flats after one meter will give you big headache when you tennants start to argue over power useage. :)

you need a seperate supply for the second flat..
with a cooker and shower in each there's a bloody good chance you'll overload the main fuse

Part P makes this notifiable work also.. but presumably you've already applied to the LABC for the conversion.?

Sponsored Links
Have you got two meters ? Splitting the supply into two flats after one meter will give you big headache when you tennants start to argue over power useage. :)

Thanks Gees. No only one meter at present but thought would install one sub meter. Probably a card meter cos intend to live in one flat myself.

you need a seperate supply for the second flat..
with a cooker and shower in each there's a bloody good chance you'll overload the main fuse

Part P makes this notifiable work also.. but presumably you've already applied to the LABC for the conversion.?

Can do without second shower but definitely need another elec cooker cos no gas in area. Will contact Building Control and also investigate cost of new supply.
Thanks, any ideas about keeping down cost?
Just going to rob a bank or become a banker/MP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back