Spot lights in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am about to replace 3 tube lights in our bathroom with 5 spotlights rating IP65. Please advise on how to wire the one light which will be within zone 1.(above shower) outside the 2.25m height as i have read i need to protect any lights within zone 1 with 30ma RCD.
Is it within regulations to secure a piece of ply(9ins wide) across the joist,
directly above the fitting so the loft insulation is away from the light fitting above the ceiling.
Thanks in advance
Ash

Sponsored Links
1) Have you thought about the fact that you're planning on replacing efficient lighting with inefficient? Do you think that increasing your electricity consumption in order to get a dimly lit bathroom is a good idea?

2) The location you describe isn't Zone 1, it's Zone 2 - you should probably become more familiar with the Wiring Regulations before doing electrical work in special locations.

3) This work is notifiable, and you may struggle to get LABC to agree with you making the lighting less compliant with Part L than it was before.

4) What you propose for the insulation won't do - firstly it may be another way that you make the house less compliant with Part L, and if you don't seal the holes you cut in the ceiling then you'll be in contravention of Part C. See these:

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCPublicati...ical/StandardsExtra/filedownload,16553,en.pdf

http://www.aico.co.uk/firecap_loftcap.htm

ban - all sheds
thanks for your honest opinion. i will not be fitting spot lights as have chosen to fit a single surface mounted light fitting(4 lamps).
thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back