Bathroom Extractor Fan Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi am planning to install a fan on the wall within shower area. Fan will be located in zone 2(above 2.25m)
1. Is the fan location within regulation
2.Please confirm fan i have idenfied (screwfix ref.47989-96 Vent-Axia rating IP44)is suitable
3. Is my proposel to wire into the bath room ceiling light within regulation. (Bath room switch is located outside the bathroom).
Fan will swith on and off with bathroom light
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly, note that as this work is in a bathroom, then it's notifiable to your LABC under Part P before doing the work (see the wiki for details).

If it's above 2.25m then it's strictly speaking out of zone under the 17th edition, as zone 2 only extends to 2.25m vertically. As to whether the location is allowed, you have to consider not just the zones, but also the risk as installed. IP44 means it will be safe from spray, but not low pressure jets - is it likely that someone could e.g. point the shower straight at it and get a low/high pressure jet going against it, if not, then the location is fine.

Wiring in to the lighting circuit is fine, if the lighting circuit is RCD protected, as all equipment in a bathroom must now be RCD protected. If the circuit isn't, then you will need to either protect the whole circuit at the consumer unit, or add an RCD outside the bathroom somewhere.

Although IP44 &, technically, suitable for zone 2 the fan manufacturer’s installation instructions state specifically that it’s not suitable for installation in a shower enclosure.

Are you aware that a bathroom is classed as a "special location" for electrical work & installing this fan is notifyable unless installed by a Part P registered Electrician & you must obtain a compliance certificate for the installation.

EDIT
Rebuke beat me to it ;)

Thanks for your advise guys. I will install the fan away from potential shower spray zone. I am planning to get 17edition consumer unit installed after i fit the fan. Will the 17th edition consumer give the required RCD protection to the extractor fan?

Sponsored Links
Yes it will but the RCD must be there when you install the fan, not at some time in the future.
ALSO
you must notify the bathroom works separately to the CU swop.

Why not get the electrician who is doing the consumer unit to do the bathroom fan at the same time = save you £££££££ and much hassle on this forum and elsewhere!

you will need a triple pole isolator(if using a permanent live) between ceiling rose and fan. You dont want to service the fan in the dark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back