bathroom extract fan installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.

i am presently redoing my bathroom and want to fit an extract fan. because it is a downstairs bathroom we tend to get a nice lot of condensation build up which means we have to leave the window open a lot after people use the electric shower.
The external wall already has the old type air vent installed above the bath at approx 2.1m from floor to center of vent which puts it just inside Zone 1
The bath has been Re-installed with both electric shower and taps located on the opposite wall to the vent.
The size and layout of the bathroom does not allow me to fit an extract fan anywhere else in the room and because it is also a downstairs bathroom i can not fit a ceiling mounted fan either.

what i wanted to do was replace the old air vent location with an extract fan, i was looking at something like-

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/35139/Heating-and-Ventilation/Extractor-Fans/Low-Profile-Extractor-Fan

although this is rated at IP24, what i am not sure about is the fact that the existing Vent location will put the new fan center just inside the Zone 1 reg of 2.25m.

Because i have re installed the bath with all taps and shower fittings on the opposite side (mainly because i knew i would be fitting some sort of extract fan), can i replace the old air vent with this fan or similar low profile type?

any help is appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
The bath has been Re-installed with both electric shower and taps located on the opposite wall to the vent.
Why didn't you get the spark/plumber who fitted your shower to fit the extractor fan at the same time. He would have sorted out the best place to put the fan, where to put the dual pole fcu and sorted out the Building Control issues - now you will have to inform them yourself and pay the significant fee.

Search the internet I'm sure you will find the appropriately rated extractor fan.

like i said. i re installed all the bath, shower, pipework and associated fittings. not paying a plumber or electrician to do what i can do already.

my point is that the wall already has a vent and associated grill built into the outside wall, although i could raise the position inside slightly to put the new fan inside of zone 2 this would mean that the new fan location would not line up with the old outside grill which i was trying to avoid as i would like to keep the look of the house the same rather than having to install a new outside grill.

Sponsored Links
like i said. i re installed all the bath, shower, pipework and associated fittings. not paying a plumber or electrician to do what i can do already.
If you feel confident to do it yourself and you understand the need for RCD protection and cable sizes etc - you don't need to employ them - but the changes you have made already and those that you propose fall under Part P of the Building Regulations and you Local Authority building control will require notification.

my point is that the wall already has a vent and associated grill built into the outside wall, although i could raise the position inside slightly to put the new fan inside of zone 2 this would mean that the new fan location would not line up with the old outside grill which i was trying to avoid as i would like to keep the look of the house the same rather than having to install a new outside grill.

As I said.....
Search the internet I'm sure you will find the appropriately rated extractor fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back