Bathroom Extractor Fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have fitted a bathroom extractor fan, before I get the experts in I have been reading up on the regs and zones, and I have a few questions if I may.

This is a very small bathroom, its only as long as the bath. At the tap end there is a shower tap, and along the side of the bath there is a window.

Looking at the zoning diagram I downloaded from the internet, it seems that inside the bath is zone 0. All around the bath is zone 1 up to a height of 2250cm, and about half a metre from that is zone 2. Anything outside this area is considered a standard installation that must meet the relevant regulations as far as my fan is concerned - is my understanding correct ?

Now - the Fan I wish to have fitted is a 240v timed habistat. I have measured the distance from the floor to where I would like the fan mounted, and there is about 2300cm from the floor to the bottom of the fan case.

Positional wise, is this fan OK to be above zone1 ? - it will be directly above the bath but more than 2.25m vertical from the floor. If someone was to stand on the bath they could touch it though.

I know there needs to be a 30ma 3a spur fitted outside the bathroom, and a double pole pull switch.

If not then I guess its a low voltage fan for me.

Sponsored Links
have you got access to the space above the ceiling, e.g. in a loft? You can get better extractors (quieter, more powerful, longer life) for use here, with a duct to go through the wall. They are rather large and unsightly, so usually put out of view.

The bathroom is on the ground floor, and the ceiling beams run the wrong way too. There is only one outside facing wall and thats where I would (only place I can) have the fan fitted. But am I allowed to - thats the question.

Last edited:
So am I correct in thinking anything that over the zone 1 at a height of 2.25mtr is part of the not zoned area ?

Sponsored Links
Good - I can crack on and get some quotes knowing I am not wasting anyones time.

Thanks for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back