Have the Zones moved, today!....? NICEIC man says they have!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had an Niceic sparky round re the wiring in of a 240 extractor fan in the bathroom.
He said that I'd need a low voltage fan as...

Zone 0 is in AND upwards almost to the ceiling above the bath. Zone 1 is 600mm radial from the bath (and sink), leaving zone 2 to occupy the 2.4m from edge of zone 1.

I have looked at other sites and forums for their diagrams of zones and it appears he has joined the 'in the bath' zone 0, with the above the bath zone 1. Thus making my only place to site the fan, within zone 2!

Every diagram I see suggests the fan will be within zone 3.

The result is that I 'must' get him to fit a more expensive low voltage system..... hmmmm.

I suppose a 2nd opinion is advised... unless every diagram of zones is out of date?

Many thanks for all views and comments.

T

Sponsored Links
Well if it is true all the new 17 th regs books would be wrong, and there not properly enforced yet

Zone 3 has been dropped under 17th Edition regs. 12v is always preferable in a bathroom

Sponsored Links
Basically any fan installed in the new zone 0 or 1 MUST be SELV (12v)

I personally would have used SELV in these areas under the 16th edition anyway.

toadstooltomato";p="857370 said:
thanks for all replies,...
so, is 12v mandatory, and does this mean that 240 is a no go for new installations then?

No, the change in jan which will be fully enforced about june is

Apart from the height Above zone 1 and 2 and the removal of zone 3 totally, they afaik are the same

As pointed out by F.R there is a change to the zone 0, shower without a basin, measurement also, this does not affect above the bath though.
(By basin i mean shower basin/tray as opposed to a sink basin.)

240v canbe used in 1 2 3 at the moment however Zone 1 will need rcd protection or be selv 12 v

Having re-read the big book, it seems that zone 0 is unchanged.

IMGP2904.jpg

Cheers rf
Best not put a selv fan in zone 0 then
Note the bit above zone 1 is gone now in the 17th !

Edit
Rf you were actually correct
In fig f for wet rooms zone 0 has changed,which I had not realised

O/P I would also recomend selv in zone 1 for safety reasons

Also having read the big book, I can confirm that Zone 0 HAS changed.

It depends on exactly where the proposed location of the fan is. Is it Zone 1 or Zone 2?

It depends on exactly where the proposed location of the fan is. Is it Zone 1 or Zone 2?

If you can tell us the zone 0 change
That is what he is trying to establish
He has been told zone 0 extends ABOVE the bath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back