Bathroom Zones question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

I'm looking to fit a ceiling shower extractor fan kit -
http://www.selcobw.com/special-offers/2013/03/shower-light-extractor-fan-kit/

over my shower, just confused by zones.

Can i fit this on the ceiling above the shower outlet? I was always under the impression that anything within 2.25m of the bath/shower was zone 1, and i would be looking to fit this just within the 2.25m. however when looking at zone images online, apparently the ceiling isn't counted :s

The description states:
The Showerlite can be used within the splash area of the
shower or bath and is powered by a S.E.L.V. remote safety
isolating transformer.
for the light part, the fan part is in the attic space so should not matter if i understand correctly?

Also I understand it needs to be on an RCD protected circuit and have an isolator switch installed.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Zone 1 extends above the bath to 2.25m from the floor.
Define floor !
If there is a fixed permanent raised surround to the bath that can be stood on then I consider that is the effective floor and the 2.25m should be measured from that level. After all the 2.25m is considered as the maximum toe to finger stretch of the human body. Therefore the 2.25m minimum means the electrical item cannot be touched during normal use of the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the floor to be the bit i stand on in the tub, the height of the ceiling is less then the 2.25m, and the light is as stated SELV. Can i fit this directly over the tub?

Common sense is that it should be impossible to touch the fan.

It seems wrong that that fan cannot be reached while standing on the floor but can be reached while standing in the bath ( bottoms of baths are not at floor level ) or on a wide surround.

It seems wrong that that fan cannot be reached while standing on the floor but can be reached while standing in the bath ( bottoms of baths are not at floor level ) or on a wide surround.

Not sure about all bath tubs, but mine sits on a stand (provided my the manufacturer of the tub) which is about 15cm in height. thus the bottom of the tub when standing is approx 15cm higher then the wooden floor next to it.

And the fan part would be in the attic, this is more the light fitting that comes with it.

I'll not argue with that one! Our ceiling is 2.3m from the floor, when I'm stood in the bath I could put my hand a good 8" into the loft if there was a hole there.

If IPX4 (or better) fixed current-using electrical equipment is allowed in zone 1.

So, presumably, being touchable is not the deciding criterion.

Don't forget (as everyone does) the electric shower.

With that in-line fan, the 230v exposure will be in the loft and outside the grasp of anyone's hand. Even if you showed your arm up the extract hose.

The only voltage in the bathroom ceiling is the 12v lamp and that is protected by a SELV transformer. I see no issues with it being over the tub.

With that in-line fan, the 230v exposure will be in the loft and outside the grasp of anyone's hand. Even if you showed your arm up the extract hose.

The only voltage in the bathroom ceiling is the 12v lamp and that is protected by a SELV transformer. I see no issues with it being over the tub.

As far as I understand it a bathroom is a 'special location' in the regs and so any circuit powering lights/shower/whatever in the bathroom should be rcd protected.

Thanks for input and assistance,

Installed over weekend, great improvement over the wall mounted extractor which wasnt positioned correctly!

Now just got to replace the MR16 50w lamp with an LED one...
Any recommendations for use on top of the tub?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back