Spotlights in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

We are thinking of replacing the current bathroom light (single batten lampholder on the ceiling) with a metal chrome plated 3-spot unit. The current lampholder appears to be positioned in either zone 3 or in an area
spanning zone 3 and zone 2.

What should we be looking for in order to purchase a unit that complies with current regs.

Hawk

Sponsored Links
Minimum degree of protection IPX4 or IPX5 if water jets

From looking for a replacement for our bathroom pendant light (which was dangling away unprotected in zone 3 when we bought the place) most lights suitable for use in zones actively advertise the fact on the box and specifically state which zones they can be used in.

baxpoti said:
Minimum degree of protection IPX4 or IPX5 if water jets

Hot bulbs may shatter if a single splash of cold water hits them let alone a jet directed at them.

Sponsored Links
Extract from IEE Electricians guide to the building regs including approved document P Electrical safety in dwellings.

Luminaires (light fittings)
230v fittings can be installed above a shower or bath but they must be IPX4. i.e. enclosed and water protected unless mounted at a height of more than 3m

Thanks everybody for your input.

I think we will vere on the safe side and go for an IPX5 unit.

Cheers.

Hawk.

Hello All again,

Found lots of IP44 lights suitable for zones 1,2 and 3 but stating " not suitable if there is a liklihood of water jets being used for cleaning purposes".

Could someone clarify what they actually mean here. Fixed/hand held showers for personal cleaning or industrial power hoses?????

Thanks.

Hawk

There is a note in the regs about communal showers cleaned by water jets, I presume you don't clean your bathroom in this was so don't worry. I guess it may be more applicable say in your local leisure centre

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back