Spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Above our bathroom used to be a flat roof and the joists are 100mm deep. The roof is now pitched but the old flat roof boards were left in place over the joists. There is no insulation between the joists (it’s on top of the boards in the loft). Is it ok to fit spotlights in this 100mm void? Obviously there is limited ventilation.

The loft is inaccessible without cutting a big hole in the ceiling.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I have three sets of spot lights, two already fitted when I moved in, and they are handy that one can direct the spot to poorly lit areas without the need to run cables to that area.

upload_2022-1-17_12-17-48.png Some thing like shown can be good, but turning a ceiling into a planetarium seems a little pointless. My kitchen had a single fluorescent lamp 65 watt, was far too bright and when I fitted a 22 watt LED tube found that ample, then son moved in, 98361719_10158572386853420_1054327038518755328_o.jpg can't remember how many, seem to remember 16 so 16 x 3 watt = 48 watt, over twice what I had used. He did not even arrange them as the great bear.

However did not look too bad, until the lamps started to fail, he blames using cheap lamps from toolstation, I am not so sure, had the first LED to replace the fluorescent also fail, not happy as back then LED tubes were around £24, price now dropped a lot, possible a poor switch causing spikes, or spikes from the supply, but small LED lights can't have the size of smoothing capacitor used in large lamps.

I have not lost many LED lights, just a couple, but he has lost around 20, and it gets expensive.

The other is with larger bulbs using dimming circuits built into the bulb is reasonably cost effective, 16 smart GU10's gets a bit expensive.

I am sure there is not problem fitting them, but would consider if that's a good idea.

Two questions here so far…

Is it worth the bother? I don’t see it as too much trouble given the bathroom is being renovated anyway?

Is it a good idea? They work well in our other bathroom. I’m still not sure why it’s a bad idea…

I think if it’s ok having the spots between the plasterboard ceiling and boards above then certainly my wife will be keen!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back