Reinstate insulation in loft above spotlights in room below

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An electrician fitted recessed spotlights in the bedroom ceiling. He left tops uncovered in the loft. This is great for uplighting the loft and down draughts in the bedroom, but not what I want.

Can I, erm, 'box in' the spots by putting a bit of MDF (or similar) horizontal between the joists like a wee roof over each spot, then take the glass fibre up over the board and dwon the other side?

Will the heat from the spots be too great for the MDF?

Any other ideas? I can't be the first person with this challenge.

If it helps, it's a 1952 terraced house, ex-council house stock with average pitched tiled roof.

Thanks
Min

Sponsored Links
the lights need air to ventilate them, too hot and they will not last that long.

you could try a fire hood

I've seen people use cheap plant pots (the teracotta, clay type ones) they cut out a section for wiring with an angle grinder and sit them upside down over the light, they are cheaper than the top hats specifically made for the task.

why not make one from paper mache instead, even cheaper.

right tool right job.

end of.

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression (mistakenly, perhaps) that the 'holes' had to be covered for fire regs as well as ensuring that the lamps, which can get quite hot, were not next to something which could catch fire eg loft insulation, items stored in boxes etc.

Any thoughts?

If there's a habitable room above then the fire rating of the ceiling needs to be restored.

The fire hoods that you use for this do not completely seal the hole in normal use, they are made of what is known as intumescent material, i.e. at a certain temperature (when a fire is starting) they foam up and at that point they seal the hole completely. If you look at the edges of fire door in public buildings you'll see embedded intumescent strips.

Flowerpots will not do.

There isn't a habitable room above the lights, just a loft space and no stuff stored near the spot lights.

As there isn't a room, is the plant pot idea okay?

Breezer - was papier mache a joke or a real suggestion?

If I want to splash out on the intumescenthoods, what supplier do you suggest?

Thanks
Min

All are a pain to fit, what is the problem with lighting above roof space that is not used ?
Heat will cause lesser lamp life also if transformers are used have to ensure they are ventilated or the thermal cutouts will activate

It's not the light in the loft that's a problem but the blinking great draught through each fitting (there are six). That room is now quite chilly so I want to improve things.

I will make sure the transformers are clear of the glassfibre insulation. (I think there are only two anyway) and see how the terracotta pots work.

What do other people do, live with the draught?

Maybe you could do some papier mache work using plaster rather than flour. After all, plasterboard is just plaster and paper.

Seriously, The lamps do need space to cool and must not be covered completely. But if there is really a howling draft then it should be possible to do some sort of boxing-in in the attic above. This can have the advantage of preventing anyone just dumping old sitcases right on top of the lamps. The lamps manufacturer should have said the minimum distance above the lamp to a wooden surface.. If you can, do not just go for the minimum, and do leave some ventilation, and do not re-cover it with fibreglass.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'm going to experiment and will report back if lamps start blowing prematurely.

There are noe fire rated downlights available on the markket. Click do one with an enclosed back

Delmel - please stop dredging up all these old posts on downlighters. We know that they are your thing, and that you either work for, or have shares in, IBL, but let it lie, eh?

i certainly do not work for IBL and they do not have fire rated downlights. Click and JCC only ones i know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back