Spray foam insulation vs Kingspan types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm renovating a building at the moment and getting close to the dreaded insulation job. I've done ridged kingspan type before and its a real pleasure, all that measuring, cutting, fitting and then filling the gaps!

So I'm wondering what the stance is on spray foam? I don't really see much online apart from "free quote!" or "free spray foam in your area now!" etc... so it seems a bit scammy. but what I have read is that it provides a better uvalue than the equivalent ridged board.

Is anyone using this as the go to solutions, what about large contractors, they all seem to be using ridged board?

is it an option really?

Sponsored Links
I was wondering what the ridges are for when i realised you meant rigid!
The site applied foam won't be as good for u value but better for air tightness. It will also be more messy. It depends on the skill of the operative. Also it would be hard to remove and replace if needed for access.
I can't believe cutting pir board has ever been described as a real pleasure due to the horrible dust But if you do it outside maybe it's ok!
Price wise the board is a lot, don't know about the foam. I assume cheaper in bulk if good access.

So I was being sarky when I said it was a pleasure, its a job I really dislike, just getting a straight cut is a very hard task!

So this is for a new roof, i.e. in between rafters, and soon I'll be doing the solid brick walls.

and sorry for the terrible spelling of rigid, it did strike me as odd looking.whoops.

Sponsored Links
Spray foam is a nightmare and should be avoided - check out the posts about it here. It will de value your house. It originated for commercial barns/broiler sheds etc. Then some bright spark saw the opportunity for houses. Like painting roof tiles.

normal insulation
you get a small leak it drips through and makes a wet patch as the timber dries out and recovers
spray insulation
you get a small leak it soaks the timber it cannot dry as the timber surface is covered
the first you know off it is when the roof starts to sag or fail

Spray foam is big in the USA. It's a valid solution if done correctly. Though I would not have it done on my house.

Thanks for all your info, I really hate the idea of Spray foam (so so messy and final), so without a huge positive I'm staying well clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back