Spray foam loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The other half of my 1930's semi is up for sale and I spoke to the prospective buyer today. They are having problems getting a mortgage, because the inside of the roof has been sprayed with foam insulation. They are being told it's a fire hazard.

I wonder what the implications are for me and if it has to be removed who pays? I believe it belongs to the council now as the previous elderly occupant has moved into a home.

It does answer one question however. Why the snow always stayed on their half of the roof longer than mine.

Sponsored Links
The owner pays (or reduces the price until someone is willing to buy it).

Because the roof is damaged, and very difficult/expensive to repair or remove, it is difficult to get a mortgage. It is quite like that somebody will strip off the roof and do it properly.

I find it shameful that there are companies willing to charge gullible, and often elderly, homeowners, to damage and devalue their homes.

I watched a roof ripped off 3 bed semi that had been sprayed with foam. Two skips filled with mostly foam. I was told roof was leaking so that's what was decided. Skill builder on YouTube covered foam pros and cons

Sponsored Links
I posted this more in the spirit of airing the problems caused by this practice rather than concern for my own property, though of course being a semi it is of concern for me. I understand they do remove the foam sometimes, but how I'm not sure. I imagine that after cutting out the bulk of it. they must dissolve the residue with another chemical. Anyway, in my case I would be happy to pay my share of the cost to re tile and perhaps get some proper insulation at the same time.
A few years ago I foolishly invited a salesman in to advise me on insulation and he wasn't very pleased when I sent him away empty handed. As JohnD says this is a shameful practice relying on the gullibility of people confronted by a persistent salesperson.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back