Spray house with insecticide for wood boring beetles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to buy an old 1930's 3 bed semi. 7m x 5.5m

I have just had a survey done for damp and wood boring insects. The quote that came back was £1450 to spray all accessible internal stuctural timbers, roof timbers, staircase, floorboards and joists.

I think this is a little steep!

Also to install chemical damp-proof course and plug external holes with plastic plugs it come in at £590 (As long as I remove all skirting, plaster up to 1m, radiators etc.

What do you think? In Nottinghamshire (Keyworth)

thanks Jono.

Sponsored Links
A 1930's house would probably have been built with a damp proof course, such as a double bed of slates in the mortar about 6" above ground level. Unless this has been damaged or bridged there should be no need for a chemical injection.

If the survey was carried out by a damp-proofing and woodworm-treating company, bear in mind how they make their money, and if they are likely to tell you that you do not need to give them any of yours.

If you are having/have had the house inspected by a proper surveyor, on a fee-paid basis with nothing to gain from misleading you, ask him to report on damp and woodworm with recommendations. He might say there is not a problem.

p.s. nothing in this response should be considered derogatory to the many excellent and trustworthy tradesmen in the damp and woodworm treatment industry.

p.p.s if it does need spraying for worm, you could do it yourself in a day, with proper protective equipment especially breathing and skin. It is not difficult in an unoccupied house.

If you invite a salesman into your house to quote for works you know are required then get 2-3 of them to conpare costs.
If you want to know if the works are required or not pay a buildings surveyor to come do a survey and give you some advice on what is or isnt required.
Like JohnD says.. you pay for what you get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back